Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to reupholster my '65 vert. My hands were damaged in a bad motorcycle accident right after I did the interior the first time. So, I can't use conventional pliers. The cost of having someone else do the work is about $600.00. The guns start around $300.00 and I'd really like to do it myself. I have an air compressor, and the skins and buns. So, what brand/model do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
How about renting one? I think United Rentals has them.

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
Pssst. Over here. I got two words for you; ZIP TIES. High quality fat ones.

I've done two sets of seats with them over the years and they are fantastically wonderful for the purpose. Easy, easy, easy. Adjustable as you could wish for in lining up seams. No failures, no hog ring hassles.

If you don't give a hoot about originality and are dreading the effort, I highly recommend this application.

I used them to recover these Recaro BMW E30 seats:

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
Pssst. Over here. I got two words for you; ZIP TIES. High quality fat ones.

I've done two sets of seats with them over the years and they are fantastically wonderful for the purpose. Easy, easy, easy. Adjustable as you could wish for in lining up seams. No failures, no hog ring hassles.

If you don't give a hoot about originality and are dreading the effort, I highly recommend this application.

I used them to recover these Recaro BMW E30 seats:

Did you use zip ties in place of hog rings all the way around or just to get it aligned then hog ringed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Zip ties sound like a good alternative, any concern about them dry rotting? I would suspect since they will be inside the car and out of the sun they would probably last.

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
Zip ties sound like a good alternative, any concern about them dry rotting? I would suspect since they will be inside the car and out of the sun they would probably last.
Howdy Mike!

They will last for years indefinitely. The more expensive of them have UV protection or something like that. Not much of an expense either way.
There are many testimonials to this alternative to hog rings online, this secret has been out for some time now. :thumbsup:
(If you were to google "hog rings or zip ties" or "zip ties for auto seat upholstery" you would likely get pages on the subject.)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I'm pretty sure the zip ties will outlast the upholstery.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
There are zip ties and there are zip ties, I like the original ones that have a metal locking tab made by "TY-rap"http://www-public.tnb.com/ps/endeca/index.cgi?keyword=TY-Rap&a=search&ca=corp&lang=en&co=US&docs=

1 - 10 of 10 Posts