Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read alot of post on first time startup of new and rebuilt engines.Some warm it up,spin it @3000 for
15min or so and shut it down.Some spin it 6500 and beyond to set micro groove?Then theres the
question of oil: weight,synthetic or not.Fuel 89 or 93 or? How did you do it?

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
I use regular 30w oil, non-detergent.

Start motor, spin to 2K~2.5K. After 5 minutes or so, start varying the throttle a bit 2500~2800~2000~2300 etc etc.
Run motor for about 20 minutes like that. Last 2~3 minutes, I slowly bring the r's down to idle.

I change the oil & filter immediately to regular 10W-30 or whatever weight you prefer to use, take it for a drive. I'm generally nice to it for 500 miles, then the fun begins.

I've used this procedure on 7 different motors, all survived without any wiped lobes or wasted bearings.

G

·
0 Posts
I also followed Hemikiller's procedures for the first time start up on my engines. I always do an oil change after the inital start up and then another at 100 miles. I wait until after the first 3000 miles before I put in any synthetic oil.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
New roller cam motors don't need any formal run in. Just start them and check for any anomolies (fuel leaks, rough running). Correct any discrepancies and give rough tune up if carbureted. You can drive them right away but don't abuse for 500 miles (vary speed, vary rpm while driving - normally happens anyway unless you take off on a long highway trip right away). Change oil and performance tune after 500 miles. Have fun!

Oil? For new roller engines it's 5w30.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I ran mine at 2000 rpms for 15 min to break in the cam, use 30w oil. Changed oil and filter. It was the night of our local cruise and i went out and got on it with a couple of Chevys, but never took it past 4500rpms because my points were bouncing and i couldn't. Put the pertronix in and mostly shifted around 5000rpm when i was getting on it. 500 mi later and until the present i take to 6000rpm occasionally.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
GTX 10W40

pressurized oil system with drill

2-2.5K for 20 min

kinda nice to it for 6 months

93 octane

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Used 20-50 Valvoline motor oil and 100 octane fuel (10.8:1 compression motor, didn't want to chance any detonation).
Fired motor up and slowly reved the motor to 2500 rpm while confirming oil pressure. Varried the RPMs slightly between 2000 and 3000 RPMs for 15 minutes.

Shut the motor off, drained the old oil and put new 20-50 back in it.
Fired the motor up again, checked initial timing and took the car for a 10 mile test drive :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts