Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a non-emergency basis, that is. For me, around 95 or so will turn me right around and run scurrying back in the house.

In my defense, I'll have to say that the sun shines directly into my garage in the afternoon, taking all the fun out of working on Lolita when it's hot out - :p

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
When I can stand in the garage for about 2 minutes and just start sweating, it's too hot! I'm not for sure of the temp because a lot of it has to do with humidity!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Well in my part of the country "hot hot" isn't a factor, but when it does get warm I'd rather be on the lake and not in the garage anyway.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Here in the deep south, it's the huuuumidity :: It gets pretty hot too, several days right at the 100 mark lately. :: When you have 85% humidity and 98 deg or so temp, it's too darn hot! :: We have had too much rain lately and more on the way (2 systems coming at us from the gulf, maybe Hurricane???).

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Your garage must face the same direction as mine. When it gets as hot as it has in the last week or so, it becomes impossible to get motivated to work for more than a half hour at a time. I've thought about airconditioning the garage, but my SWMBO complains about the electric bill as it is now. I'd hate to see the bill from cooling the garage as well as the house.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
When the paint starts to bubble. Here in NC, walking outside in the summer and being instantly covered in sweat is a fact of life. Soon, though, the exposed basement Garage-majal on the north side of the house will be open for worship and sacrifice...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
This does not happen where I live ("East Bay" of SF Bay Area). Highs in the 80's only happen 10-15 times per year.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Never to hot but 50 is too cold. With fans and a jug of ice water in the garage, I am fine.

·
Registered
795 Posts
its never to hot or to cold to work on my cars. the only time i called it quits what when i passed out from the heat while i was welding. i dont have a garage so i work in my driveway and it is in the sun all day and it must of been about 95 out and like 75% humidity well i passed out that was the only time it was to hot to work on my car.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I dunno exactly. Last weekend I spent all Sunday afternoon tearing down the $35 engine. It was hot and I was greasy, sweaty, smelly. Didn't realize how hot 'til I saw on the evening news it was 104 in my area!!! Yikes! Guess I was having too much fun. . .

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
When is it too hot? Today is a good example with around 104 predicted. I don't even drive the car in this kinda heat let alone work on it. :(

Typically, around 95 is when I stop.

Mark

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
My rented garage is buried on two sides in earth, and the working area walls are concrete, 7' tall. Needless to say, it stays pretty cool in there during the summer. All I generally need is a fan to move the air around to be comfy.

The garage at my newly purchased house is wood framed and faces the south. How hot it gets in there, I'm not sure yet, as I have yet to have a chance to turn a single bolt in that garage, too busy settling into the new homestead.

Honestly, I'm more bothered by the 200 degree temps of a recently run engine than the air temperature.....

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well, considering my garage is usually cooler than the house on a hot day, I'd rather work on the Mustang when it's over 90. If it gets too uncomfortable, just go for a quick swim then back to work! ::

Now the cold days, that's another story...when I can no longer feel my feet, it's time to call it a day.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i dont know if its to humid and to hot it may start feeling like a sauna. in which case i will be out there more.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
::If its too hot I just turn on the central air, go back inside for a few minutes to let the garage cool off. ::

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a 2 ton central heat and air unit in my garage, so the cold or heat doesn't bother me. I have to admit though I haven't put a ceiling in the garage yet so it takes a while for it to get cool when it is really hot. ::

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Well, as the owner of a '60's craftman home (near the desert, mind you) with an oh-so-architecturally-trendy carport instead of real man's garage, I'd say 85-ish about does it for me. I then migrate, tail between legs, to the pool, or heck, ANYWHERE out of the sun.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Here in the deep south, it's the huuuumidity ::
We get that up here in Connecticut as well. Plus
as an added bonus we freeze in the winter. And, SWMBO wants to move to Vermont (nothing against any Vermonters) where it gets even Colder!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I draw the line at minus 10 degrees celsius. We'll never have the too hot problem here.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,640 Posts
Lately if it's about 90 degrees or above I find something else to do. I often wait til about 9 PM or so and it's a lot nicer out there. At about 1:30 AM it's almost perfect. But then I have to pack it in so I can get up for work the next day. Sigh.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts