Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking over receipts, and I hadn't realized just how much money I've spent on the restoration process of my car. Then I got to thinking, I'm not even doing a frame up restoration, as the car is for the most part rust free. I'm just replacing worn parts, making things look really nice etc. By far the most money I've spent has been tied up in suspension and brake stuff + tires rims etc...

Ohh - and I haven't even gotten to the engine/engine compartment yet!!

Total in all parts = $5800
Original Purchase Price of Car = $3500

That doesn't count all the tools that I didn't have to start with either!

Now, for what I have at this point, it doesn't seem that bad overall... But with the work I want to do with the engine and engine bay + exhaust, that number will definitely push higher. I've done all the work myself except for the transmission rebuild.

How much have you guys spent including the initial cost of the car?

::

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
That's never a nice question to ask!

I should be good for about $12000 on Shari, and around $7500 for the Cat. Maybe another $1200 in tools and the like that I didn't own when I started.

G

·
0 Posts
Original purchase price: $5500
Spent so far: $3000

After having it for only 6 months I've only gotten to suspension, steering and my new rims (that still haven't made their way to my car ::)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I haven't spent anything yet, because i've been a broke 15yr old for 6 months, but We're putting in 1200 bucks for the first order. That will be a happy, happy day.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
My coupe? A lot of blood, sweat, and tears and probably $5,000, including the engine rebuild. Most of the parts are original on the car, it's the labor that costs.

My fastback? I stopped adding the receipts when I reached $20,000. I imagine it will be $30-35,000 by the time I'm done, including the cost of the car ($3,500).

·
Registered
531 Posts
Waaaaayyyyy tooo much!

I have spent upwards of $8K on parts, base car price, and tools needed for the restoration, yet I haven't even gotten the thing off the jack stands yet.

How to I justify it? IT'S A HOBBY, and hobbies are supposed to be expensive!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Around 20K for my 2 68 coupes plus anouther 3K for original cost.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Too much :(

PARTS (NOS & repo): $11,300
+
ENGINE Rebuild: $1500
+
PAINT&MATERIALS: $2500
+
purchase price: $1000
=
$16,300

and I still need to build an addition on my shop to store it in during the winter.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I think I have everyone beat with my answer, $2.96. That's right, the decimal place is correct, it's 2 dollars and 96 cents.

Now my Dad on the other hand, well, he's got the money, so he might as well spend it on something he enjoys. We're probably up to a couple thousand (for our combined expenses of course), but we work slower than I'd like and are trying to take our time and do things right.

TK

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Is "too d#*% much" a valid answer? I quit keeping precise tabs on it, but of course have the receipts for everything. Best guess is by the time it hits the road somewhere around $16k...

Doug

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I actually track my costs...

Here it is to date:
http://kastang.tripod.com/kastangwork.html

Sadly, that's 5 months out of date. I have a lot of updating to do. All that spending was also all in the first year. I'm hoping for a slow down now.

Slade

·
Registered
353 Posts
My receipts for the restoration of a 65K GT fastback total #11,000. I had driven the car daily for 29 years before I started a total restoration in 1996. I estimated the car was worth a minimun of $8,000 when restoration was started. My receipts show $11,000 in parts and paint and light body work. I disassembeld the car and reinstalled new complete suspension, interior and wiring. All chrome was refinished or replaced. The engine and 4-speed had both been rebuilt before the start of restoration. The car earned a GOLD in MCA concours judging in 2000.

The price guides indicated the car is worth more than I have in it only because I did all the work myself except paint and body. With the higher prices of good sound daily driver 65-66 cars today I don't believe a person could, today, restore that car to concours condition, even if he did all the work himself, with out losing money.

Good luck on your car.
Mark Mosteller
Garden Grove, CA

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
My coupe? A lot of blood, sweat, and tears and probably $5,000, including the engine rebuild.
I'll give you $6,000 for it! That's a quick 20% profit!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am one of those morons who put all of my expenses in an Excel spreadsheet along with a list of parts that I still need and a projected total when all is done. I started with a $1,500 rusty car with about 200K miles and have a little over $12,000 in it (with about $1,000 in parts still needed) to date. If you looked at the car now, in primer with all of the glass and interior stripped, you might guess it to be worth about $2,500, but I suppose that's because I have almost $5,000 in the engine. I wish I had never started keeping track of the cost because it drives me nuts to have that much invested in a car that I have had for 5 years and driven a grand total of 75 miles before stripping it down.

Randy

1 - 20 of 58 Posts