Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My 68 in my sig was built at San Jose and sold new at Theodore Robbins Ford in Cosa Mesa, CA. It's now across the country some 3k miles in CT where I bought it from the 4th owner. I have some paperwork that shows the car was registered in WY for some time in the early and mid 80s by the original owner who finally sold the car after moving to CT in 1993.

My 68 parts car was built at Metuchen and sold new in Cheshire, CT from a defunct Ford dealer that was on Rt 10. I bought the car sitting in a field in Harwinton, CT about 20-25 miles from where it was sold new. Insurance cards in the car shows it was registered in Waterbury, CT from 1968 to 1988 about 10 miles from where it was sold new and about 15 miles from where I bought it. After stripping the car of useable parts the "carcass" was sent to a salvage yard in Thomaston, CT about 5-6 miles from where I found the car. This car appears to have stayed within a 30 mile radius from when it was sold new until it's life ended.

My father's 73 Grande we're looking for (see sig) was Dearborn built and sold new from Kost Ford in Tenafly, NJ. He traded it into Artsma Chevrolet in Wycloff, NJ in the summer of 1982. During the whole time we had it it was kept in Wanaque, NJ where we lived at the time. I tried contacting the NJ DMV and did a title search but I have yet to find any info on what happened to this car and if it's still possibly around somewhere today.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
It was built in San Jose and sold in CA, the car still has its original lic plates.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
SAC69 said:
...car still has its original lic plates.
...that's cool...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My 68 was sold right here in Portland (San Jose); in fact to a guy that attended high school with my dad back in the early '40's.

·
Registered
34,326 Posts
Mine seem to travel a lot. My first one, a '65 Coupe GT K-code was San Jose built and Atlanta DSO. My '66 is Dearborn built and Los Angeles DSO. Both were built later in the model year if that's any consolation.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
My Dearborn built 65 was ordered by someone in Huston later spent some time in Louisana and now lives in Ohio.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
My 69 was built in Metuchen and sold in Alabama.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
joe69 said:
It's interesting to see how these cars move around the country.

Joe
Or even out of the country with some of our members in Australia, France and other countries. Some may have been shipped out originally under an export DSO and made thier way back too.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Metuchen
DSO 24 Jacksonville, FL
Sold at Flamingo Ford in Homestead, FL. I did a little digging and it turns out there is still a Ford dealer at the same address with a different name.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
chillininnh said:
Metuchen
DSO 24 Jacksonville, FL
Sold at Flamingo Ford in Homestead, FL. I did a little digging and it turns out there is still a Ford dealer at the same address with a different name.
The current dealer may still have info/records on your car - you might drop them a line just to see if you're interested. A friend of mine did just that and got a fair amount of info and a few contacts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
1968 GT/CS (San Jose built) Sold new at Mel Burns Ford in Long Beach, Calif.
Sat 3 months on the lot and then sold on my birthday May 19th.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts