Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new polyurethane bushings for the front of the rear leaf springs. They fit the eye of the spring great, but the hole in the middle, for the mounting bolt is 3/4" in diameter. The bolt that mounts these is 1/2" size. Obviously, the bolt slops around a lot, and this cannot be right.

I took the old steel bushings, from the middle of the old rubber mounts, smoothed them up and pounded them into place in the centers of the poly bushings. The fit is now very good, but it does not get away from the future rusting of these bolts to the sleeves.

NPD advertises these as not having the internal sleeve, so therefore no rusting to the bolts in the future. Anyone else have this problem with these items from NPD? The package very clearly has them marked with the part number and the notation for my model year car.

Mark

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Since there's no way you're going to drill a 3/4" hole through the frame in that location, to use a 3/4" bolt, I'd say you came up with the correct workaround. It seems like a steel sleeve is preferable to bolt-on-poly anyway. I don't know about poly, but the solid aluminum bushings that came with the Competition Engineering Slide-A-Links traction bars that I put on my kids' '65 had a sleeve. I would get some of the Prothane poly lube from NPD and coat the outer diameter of the sleeve with that, and use some anti seize or bearing grease or marine grease on the inner diameter. That will prevent any rust-weld of the bolt to the sleeve.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I just yanked the poly bushings out of my front eye bolts this past weekend and replace w/rubber. They drove me crazy.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What were the craziness-inducing problems with your bushings? I would like to know before I bolt all of this back up to the car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Incorrect sized bushings were shipped to us from the manufacturer in error. Call us and we'll replace with the correct size ID or refund at your request.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scott, it is too late for me, I think. I have already shoved the old steel sleeves into your bushings. I guess I will just have to see if this works.

Mark

·
Registered
560 Posts
The ride was so harsh that my L4 & L5 Vertibrae in my back were pinching the nerves around the meniscouse :chainsaw:
Maybe yours will ride better on the track. My car is a streeter
In fact I could not in good conscious recommend Poly urethane to any one for leaf spring bushings for street duty. Sway bars and end linkS sure.
I know others like them, just not me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts