Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got some estimates and one of the guys told me that he would be using "European paint". I made a post here and some of the guys were able to help me find out that this is probably a polyurethane paint called Glasurit or something like that. The guy gave me a guarantee that the color will never fade or anything like that. However, I have always heard that BC/CC is the way to go and to stay away from the poly paint. Any suggestions/opinions or anything? Thanks.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
My car (in the signature) was sprayed with a basecoat/clearcoat and it is Glasurit brand. That brand is often associated with Porsche, Mercedes and the like. The guarantee is there, I believe.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12287439&p=44845480.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the idea that Glasurit was only a poly paint? I dont know for sure if it is this brand. He only told me that it is European and that it is used on the bmw's etc.. Thanks for the info. I guess I better find out what he is planning on shooting.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I think you're confusing Urethane paint for single stage. A base coat clear coat job can be used with Urethane, Enamel or Lacquer. The Glasurit Urethane bc/cc would be an excellent choice IMHO. If it's a metallic color, I would avoid single stage paint which does not have a clear.

Coppertone's current condition:
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/doorsonright.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for clearing that up for me, and yes I was. Thats what happens when an amature tries to act like he knows what hes talking about when it comes to paint lol. Ok, so I want to avoid single stage since laser red metallic is the color. Thanks for the help.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
The reason you avoid single stage metallics is that the metal flakes tend to group together when you apply a heavy gloss coat. That makes a blotchy streaky finish. When you do bc/cc, the base coat doesn't have to be glossy, so you can apply it with lighter coats. Then when you hit it with the clear, the metallic really comes alive. Also, buffing metallics can be tricky. If you have a clear coat, you're buffing clear, not the metallic.

From what I've heard, Urethane bc/cc is the best you can do. Enjoy.

Coppertone's current condition:
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/doorsonright.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, that helps clear things up alot. I guess the 2200 the guy quoted me isn't too bad after all. Only things is I will have to do the assembly which might be kinda tricky...

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

1 - 7 of 7 Posts