Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here "pony" up (sorry, couldn't resist) for the concours plating on a Pony Carbs rebuild, and if so, how has it lasted?

Does the plating affect the longevity of the operation of the carb?

I had the 2150 on my F-150 rebuilt about 10 years ago by them, and although it looked great and ran great when it came back, with the standard rebuild the linkage rusted fairly quickly after a year or so. The carb is giving me some issues recently with the throttle shaft sticking and whatnot. I'm wondering if the problem is corrosion related, and if so, if that would be prevented by having the parts plated correctly.

I'm considering sending it back for another rebuild, and getting the concours plating this time, but only if it will positively affect the longevity of the operation of the carb, and not just the appearance.

This is my daily driver vehicle, and I am willing to pay for the carb to be rebuilt and tuned correctly so I can rely on it. I have tried my hand at rebuilding carbs, and yes, its not that hard, but fine tuning the adjustments to make it run smooth seem to be beyond my abilities, even with following a step by step procedure from a tech manual.

Any inputs appreciated.

Sam

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
I had mine done in 2001 and it looks as good today as then, and it looked pretty darn good when I got it. I had one problem, and that was the glass bead media that was left in the throttle area on the side. Once that was vacuumed out and the spring reattached that they had left off, it ran beautifully. ;)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, that's odd Laurie, don't you think they would have caught that when the run tested it?

Good to know that the plating has lasted that long though.

I sent my original carb in last time and got the same one back, thinking about trying the core trade this time to minimize down time. Even though my truck is a '78 and not worth anything to anybody but me, I still have some reservation about not putting the original carb back on. Weird, huh?

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
You would think they would have. At least no lasting damage was done.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Part of the plating "longevity" issue may be related to the climate you live in.

I and Laurie both live in the warm and dry desert.

You live in Virginia, where the humidity is beyond what I am willing to deal with.

I can say that John at Pony Carbs (the owner I believe) is a real stand-up guy in my opinion.

I was having some minor issues with my C8ZF-D 4bbl for my 68 302. When I brought it up to John at the Wild West Show in Concord California this past summer, he was eager to help correct the situation. John practically held a clinic on my car/carb the following morning for about 30 on-lookers including myself.

It has NEVER run better than it does now!

Thanks John!

Mike In Vegas

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
It's been 4 years going on 5 with my Shelby's carb. Still looks like new.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well shoot, maybe I should just send mine back and let him tell me it is fine and just needs adjusted.

Thanks guys,
Sam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts