Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"After market intakes are NOT recommended especially the Eldebrock Performer. People report back to us from all over the country that vacuum leaks occur with that product due to the extremely narrow mounting flange on the drivers and passenger side of the carburetor mounting flange! It will absolutely NOT work with a factory carburetor as the flange does not line up (a flat thin spacer will allow it to work in a pinch).

We recommend the Ford factory cast iron intake. It is an excellent dual plane design, and only weighs about 20 pounds more than the cast aluminum." -- PonyCarbs.com

I'm sure others have read this. Just wanted opinions on it. If it's true, why should I get an aluminium (aluminum) intake?

THANKS - StevoDevo

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The info from Pony Carbs above concerns problems with putting Autolite 4100 carbs (which Pony restores and sells) onto aftermarket manifolds.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
When I did my last engine in '93 I tried a 480 cfm 4100 on the Performer RPM. It worked with an adapter but would occasionally have a vacuum leak. So I went to a Performer 1405 Edelbrock carb. End of problem. I think if you gasket match the stock Ford 4V intake, touch up the flashing, and install a 1" spacer, you can pick up a little more than just leaving it alone, but if you are not bent on looking stock, aftermarket is the way to go in my experience.

...modified '65 convertible...

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I think Edelbrock recommends a steel rectangular carb adapter bolted to the intabe before installing the carb. I can't find the one I had or the Performer instructions but I'm pretty sure they mentioned that.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So... as long as we're on the subject, which would y'all recommend -- Edlebrock or stock set-up?

http://home.earthlink.net/~keschick/_uimages/Mustangthumbnail.JPG
[color:green] '67 cpe, daily driver </font color=green>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts