Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just about given up on my search for turquoise/aqua pony mats. I've called and written everyone I can think of, looking for either NOS or used sets - with absolutely no luck. So now I've begun to question myself...

Were the original dealer-installed "Pony" mats available in all the carpet colors in the first place? I was just sure they were. I assumed there was an aqua along with an emberglow, and moss green, and every other unique carpet color; but only the more popular ones were being reproduced today.

Does anyone know for sure if they came in these colors? Has anyone ever actually seen an aqua or perhaps emberglow set? Just curious...

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I too gave up, and bought tan deepwell rubber mats at Walmart. Once I realized that you have to remove the mats for shows anyway, it made it an easy choice.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Mark - I remember you asking about the same thing a while back.

The best solution I've come up with is dying a set. I've been advised against it, and I know the dye will eventually scratch off; but I think I can live with it.

If I start with a blue set and dye them turquoise, the scratches won't be terribly noticeable because the base color is so close to the dye color. If you for instance, dyed a maroon or brown set to emberglow, I don't think those scratches would stand out too badly either.

I have experimented using a can of turquoise dye on an old tan pony mat I've had for years; and after about 3 months of driving, the dye-job has held up remarkably well. Only a few tiny heel scuffs - and things like that can be touched up every couple of months.

But still... did Ford offer these colors to start with?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
If it means anything to you, when my Mustang was ordered with special paint code and carpet, it had matching "pony" floor mats. I wish the original owner was still alive so that I could ask him if he had them MADE or if they came with the car, but the special order invoice for the paint and carpet also shows "CC floor mat." No expert here.. Maybe you could try Kevin Marti for a real affirmative. What I gather, though, is with enough money, Ford would do anything for your new Mustang.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts