Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday, I had a real nice girl come into the store and asked if we would place her 67 Mustang on the showroom floor for sale. We take cars in for consignment from customers, so I told her no problems. She filled out the paperwork, and I went out and gave it a quick visual inspection.

She had stated she wanted $5500 for it, as this would help with the down payment on a new house she is trying to buy. After "looking" at the car, it seemed to be a decent daily driver, but did need some detailing and a new paint job as the old paint was faded and cracking. She said it ran good, and there were no other problems with the car. I suggested she ask $6k so she could negotiate closer to her wanting price if needed.

After collecting her fee, and after she drove off, I hop in the car to drive it around back to wash & wax it prior to sticking it on the floor. I notice the aftermarket steering wheel does not quite fit right, and the steering wheel feels as if it's going to come off in my hands, plus this thing smoked so bad when I drove it around to the back I thought I was going to get loss in the fog! After looking at it closer and finding several more problems with it, I think she will be lucky to get half of what she is asking for.

I will be calling her on Monday and letting her know my thoughts, as I hate to take her money, knowing good and well, it is not going to sell for what she is wanting. I will give her a choice so she can either pick up her car with a full refund on the consignment fees, or see if she wants to lower the price. I know she doesn't have the money to fix the problems, so that's not an option for her. I kind of feel bad for her as she is in her early to mid 20's and seems to have her head screwed on straight and is really trying to make an effort at a good start on life. I hope this doens't put a damper on her house plans!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Im always amazed at what people think their musclecar era car is worth...

My 70 has 5K worth of drivetrain in it; that doesnt mean I'd get the 5K plus back if I wanted to sell it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Im sorry, did you say early to mid 20's? Driving a 67 stang? Send her to AZ.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I just looked at a '67 T code coupe that was asking $1400 and it was in far worse shape than mine was when I purchased it. A "ton of new parts" consisted of a new dashpad about 10 years ago and not much else. They had installed new pans right over the top of the swiss cheese floors, rockers,tbs. Aprons were a mess (signs of early damage) rust bubbles in the usual places PLUS in the middle of panels, rear quarters (like a bad early replacement job), paint clearcoat was about gone and the paint not far behind. Only saving grace was that the engine leaked so much oil, the block probably wasn't rusty LOL. Every one there commented that the engine was VERY tired and needed rebuilt.

Now that was a POS.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Sounds like the right thing to do; kudos to you.

·
Registered
698 Posts
She is a lucky girl that she came into your shop. I have a shop here in TX that treats people similarly. I have been sent away from there with money in hand to buy a part that could be had for less at another store. Needless to say, he gets full recomendation from me and all my business he will take. (He gets plenty of my money BTW) LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts