Vintage Mustang Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
I gotta say, you and your friend play in a different sandbox. My toy is only worth 1/10 of that one so I'll tinker away. I wouldn't take my Lambo to jiffy lube

·
Vendor
5,012 Posts
a) Properly set up, a point distributor will work as well as any electronic. In daily use, points will gradually go out of adjustment. Will you be driving it to work?
My '55 still has points. I have not adjusted them since about 2002. Not a problem.

b) Plug wires are tricky, but doable. The plugs are the hard part, requiring exotic tools. Back in the day, a lot of guys would lift the motor off the mount by pulling the horizontal through-bolt. Some would just skip it. You may have some of the latter going on.
I wholeheartedly agree.. Again, my KR is concours original, points and all, and it runs smooth as silk. Starts on impulse, no stumbles, progressive acceleration into secondaries, it all works. Throwing modern stuff at it risks masking the underlying issues, and you never really fix it.

·
Registered
Original 1965 Mustang coupe, 289, c4, 2 barrel
21 Posts
I gotta say, you and your friend play in a different sandbox. My toy is only worth 1/10 of that one so I'll tinker away. I wouldn't take my Lambo to jiffy lube
To all FE & cobra jet folks, to replace any of the spark plugs, make sure you have good clean threads in head & on plug, get about 16" of vacuum hose that fits tight in the top of plug, begin threading this combo through things to get plug started as straight as possible, with one hand try to hold plug straight, with the other hand twist the vacuum hose to start the plug in threads; once started, use 3 /8" drive socket, " 3/8" wiggle tail" , then 3/8" extension ( length depends on the plug being worked on) and carefully turn plug (this arrangement works going in or out) once bottomed out, position the ratchet for torque needed to seat plug.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just a comment about the gas tank. Recently I drained mine. I thought that would take care of any issues. After still having some issues I pulled the tank. You would not believe the disgusting mess in the bottom of the tank. So make sure you did a thorough cleaning. I decided to get a new tank for mine. That makes sure it was clean.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
II have been looking at the engine bay and it looks impossible to change the plugs and wires without removing stuff and lifting the engine. Did you jack the engine from underneath? or lift from the top side? Jack points or lifting points. Do you remove any of the transmission bolts or crossmember?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
It may look impossible, but it's doable. Removing the valve covers makes it easier.

·
Registered
37,463 Posts
II have been looking at the engine bay and it looks impossible to change the plugs and wires without removing stuff and lifting the engine. Did you jack the engine from underneath? or lift from the top side? Jack points or lifting points. Do you remove any of the transmission bolts or crossmember?
Sometimes, especially if the Thermactor injector tubes are still in stalled, lifting the engine is the only way.

Typically a padded jack plate under the oil pan. Remove one horizontal bolt. Lift that side of the engine. Repeat on the other side.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts