Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
So I'm working on the car today...long day of apply my side stripes which end up being cut wrong from the factory so now I have half done and need to buy another kit to finish, but that's aside from the point.
I decided to install the new pop open gas cap I bought from NPD (part #9030-7B). 4 screws out, put it in place, 4 screws in and I'm done, right? wrong. The cap doesn't fit on the car. I can't even get it around the filler hole cause it hits the bumper. Even if I was able to jam it in place I would never be able to open it. Anybody have this problem with this part? I guess I'll have to run down to NPD tomorrow and see if they will take it back.
Thanks in advance,
Nate

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Put an "incorect" non-GT pop open on my 68 vert a while back. Ford not repro, but it fit OK. When open very close to the bumper, but no clearance issues like you note. Sounds like a bumper alignment issue.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Are you sure it's a 1967/68 cap? The numbers are identical except for the second digit - easy to screw up. I recently ordered one from a big Mustang house and got a very nice '69 PO cap. Since mine's a '68, it didn't fit fer s**t. :)

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
22,101 Posts
Odd, if you could post a picture of you trying to put on that would be a big help. I'm not sure what you've run into.
I had a 69 base with a 68 lid on my 67 coupe for quite a while. No bumper problems, but it required some extra gaskets and hung over the edge of the trunk lock a bit. I've since changed the base out for a 68 assembly which fits better. Again, no bumper interference.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow night. It just seems too big all around. Doesn't clear the bumper and on the top it covers part of the lock cylinder. Even if it did fit the fill tube, it would look like crappy the lock cylinder...not clean. Thanks for all the help. But hey I got the stripes finished...wow what a great difference!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.