Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question, but here goes.......... I am replacing the floorpans on my 65 Mustang and plan to use POR-15 inside and out. My question is, should I coat them with the POR-15 then weld them in place, or weld them in place then coat them?? Will welding ruin the POR-15 on the pans? Or can I just re-coat them where I welded?

' 65 Mustang Coupe ( Soon to be back on the road, I hope! )
' 68 Mustang Daily driven ( In the summer that is. )

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,754 Posts
Paint them afterwards. You want the metal to be as clean and void of contaminants (oil, paint...) as possible when you weld. Then spray them with POR.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!!!
66 200 3-spd Coupe - emberglo, daily driver
65 289 4-spd Conv - Rangoon Red (what else)
66 Shelby - Red and Ready to be Restored

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm doping some rail rapiring/replacing. What about the inside of the old rails? I plan on grinding the rails down, repairing and/or replacing bad parts, and then applying POR. But the inside of the rails will continue to rust.
Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
192 Posts
GLAD TO SEE MORE PEOPLE ARE USING THIS QUALITY MATERIAL. I USED 3 QUARTS ON MY LAST RESTORATION. EVERY PANEL GOT COATED BEFORE IT WENT ON (I MEAN EVERY) AND I CLEANED THE EDGES THEN WELDED THEN RECOATED THE WELD AREAS. SOME OF IT MAY GET HOT WHEN YOU WELD AND BUBBLE OFF, JUST WIPE IT OFF WHILE IT IS HOT, LESS WORK THAN WAITING FOR IT TO COOL AND SCRAPING OFF. THEY MAKE A CONDENSED VERSION IN A TUBE THAT IS GREAT FOR THIS (POR PATCH, I THINK). YOU JUST PUT A LITTLE ON THE TIP OF A PAINT BRUSH AND YOU CAN GET IT TO STICK (SINCE ITS THICKER) IN TIGHT SPOTS. I LOVE THE STUFF FOR RUST PREVENTION. I WOULD MARRY IT, BUT I CANT FIND A FIND A TUBE WITH A BLONDE CAP. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts