Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brushing por-15 to the underside of my car. I put on a thin coat of silver so far. What is next? Topcoat it with chassiscoat black, then a couple more coats of regular por-15 black? The silver is dry now though, not still 'finger drag' texture. How many coats would someone recommend? Anyone here have much experience with this stuff?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Glad you asked. POR-15 is meant to stick ONLY to bare metal that is 1) already rusty, 2)sand blasted, 3) etched.
POR-15 will not stick to shiny metal or metal that has any paint, grease, undercoating, etc. on it. Go to www.por15.com Read all of it and your every question will be answered. Why not just use POR-15 satin black and be done with it? No second coat of anything needed.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
POR-15 won't stick to a greasy surface, but will stick to any clean, roughed up surface. My entire underside of my hood is coated in POR-15, prior to being primed and painted. I didn't strip the whole thing down to metal, just where it needed to be because of rust (it was the hood that was on my son's '65 rust bucket when we bought it). It's been painted now for over a year, gets driven daily, and has been subjected to rain and 112 degree days. The only problems at all are from where my lack of clearance has let the air cleaner nut scratched the paint.

We also coated all the floor pans of my son's car with POR-15. Didn't bother topcoating it, since it's covered by carpet. Again only taking to bare metal where it needed to be, (alothough the driver short pan was bare, because we replaced it.)

Other than grease, POR-15 will stick to just about anything, and doesn't come off. My hands were a good testimony to that, the first time I used it /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts