Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much por 15 should I buy to completely coat the undercarriage or my car? I plan on doing the frame rails, trunk/fuel tank, some suspension pieces, and any other placees that look spotty.

Also, has anybody had any experience with their putty products for tough-to-patch pitted areas? I've got a little section on the drip rail over my passenger side door that's pitted pretty bad...

thanks,

matt k.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
My guess is if you are brushing it on it will take 2 to 3 quarts depending on how much you are covering. I had a core support on a car that was pitted pretty bad and I used por15 then used body puddy over the por and painted the support. It looks good and the por is doing its job...

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I agree with Ray if you're brushing it on. If you're spraying it, you'll get more mileage out of it. Don't use your best HVLP gun to do it, though. Shooting POR-15 is pretty tough on guns. Use a gun you don't care much about. The gun I used to use for POR-15, after about 4 times of shooting the stuff, I finally just tossed the gun, but it sure was handy for doing things like the insides of doors, insides of quarter panels, etc.

Another product of POR-15 is the POR-patch. That stuff is basically very thick POR-15. It's a much better prouct, IMHO, than their "2-part putty". That stuff sets up and is as hard as concrete. It's fantastic for filling pitted areas, or even patching small holes. We had a small hole in my daughter's '69 coupe's quarter panel. We basically "glued" metal into it using the POR-patch. We filled the indentation of the glued in metal with POR-patch, then sanded it smooth, then top coated the car. 2 years later, you cannot see where the hole was. That is some AWESOME stuff!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Matt,
I just finished painting the underbelly of my fastback. On a rotisserie and it was completely sandblasted. One quart did the whole underbelly with about a half cup left over. I have done about five cars now, and this seems to be about the same on all of them. I brushed it on. Hope this helps.
jazzbo

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
if your brushing (i recommend it, it dries absolutely mirror smoothe) buy the "six pack" or buy a quart and put it in babyfood jars or something

1 - 5 of 5 Posts