Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used Por-15 over corroless?

What about the other way arround?

Ever used corroless directly on top of rust similar to Corroless. If so will it stay?

I painted my cowel with corroless today and wondered if using por-15 around the hats ontop of the corroless would be a problem?

T

G

·
0 Posts
No I haven't, but I'm curious: Why do you want to? Don't you trust the Corroless, and if not why did you use it in the first place?

I thought they both do the same thing. Does one do something the other doesn't?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not that I trust one over the other. It would be more like, If one is good then using both would be better., type of mentality.

Either way I have decided against doing it. Por-15 website states that you can use it over other paints but the advantage is using it on bare/ rusty metal. Not on top of paint.

It just seems that the corroless was thinner than the por. I want to make sure the rust never comes back. That is simply why I asked the question. Since I have no experience with either, I searched the site before posting and could not find an answer.

·
Registered
678 Posts
POR sticks to rust and bare metal. On a painted surface it will just peel off. I suspect the Corroless will be just like any other painted surface after it has cured.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
correloss should only go on rusty surfaces (loose stuff removed) for best results. i have an Eastwood's tech help reply addressing this. i use correloss and top coat with chassis black for everything under car. do not know about POR but suspect same. IMHO only use one or other.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
learned a valuable lesson last night...

read the label on chassis black. when it says apply second coat in 20 min or wait 1 week or lifting may occur. It MEANS IT!

would that get me the dufus award? I now have to strip my engine compartment again and repaint it.

Oh the joy!

BTW. I am going to stick with corroless and chassis black also. It seems easier to work with. Por15 only in some places where I do not need to top coat. And only because I have the stuff.

Thanks.
Thomas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts