Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot of the VMFers using POR-15. Any comments on it, and where to get it. I haven't seen it at the local auto place, but then again, I haven't searched too hard for it.

Also, can it be used over surface rust, or does it need to be cleaned up? I have a little in the bottom of the trunk drops, and thought that might be hard to get out without sheetmetal removal.

·
Registered
359 Posts
http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=6

You will have a hard time finding it in a retail store. Your best shot is from a auto paint supplier, not auto parts.

It is MADE to go over rust. It actually does not work well on clean steel.

The stuff is easy to use but you cant treat it like normal paint. It stains big time and it will even dry in the can if your not careful. Be sure to follow the instrustions, exactly!

You can not paint over this once dry. If you plan on painting the area you need to spray it with primer BEFORE it is completely dry. Once its dry, nothing will stick to it for long.

James

·
Registered
285 Posts
I love the stuff for things like frame rails, brake drums, anything with a slight surface rust or "seasoned" (read old and stained) metal. The stuff is strong and durable and lasts.

Anyway, I don't think you can get it anywhere except from the manufacturer. Here's thier web address.

www.por15.com

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Once its dry, nothing will stick to it for long.
Not if you use their Tie-Coat primer. It can be put on top of totally cured POR-15 without problems. I have a '65 deck lid in my garage that was treated with POR-15 on both sides before it went to the paint shop. We did use the tie-coat primer on it, and the BC/CC paint has held up well on it (the rest of the car is now gone, but the deck lid remains *LOL).

I also did the under side of my hood this way, and the paint still looks great after being subjected to all that heat on a daily driver for 1.5 years now.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
It's available at almost all automotive paint shops, many distributors, and directly from POR.

I get mine from a local distributor here in Sacramento. She claims to be their largest distributor, but I have no way of knowing if that's true. I just call her up, and it's sitting on my door step the next day.

Let me know if you want their number (place is called "The Finished Look").

1 - 5 of 5 Posts