Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a portable generator (read around 100 lbs) that I can use to outfit my new enclosed car trailer. I want something in the 3500-5000 W range. Anyone have any sources for a economically priced unit? I am specifically NOT interested in Coleman brand.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a Honda 5000 watt that I can plug into my house and backfeed the breaker panel when power goes out. It sits a lot and starts on the first pull everytime! 8 hrs of run time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
oops sorry its more than 100lbs but has wheels

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I think if your looking for a portable pretty hard to beat a Honda I own a 1000 and 2500 and had very good luck with them, but if you looking to build in can't beat an Onan.

Mark

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've got a Generac 4000XL. Much quieter than the coleman, has an OHV engine, can run 10+ hours on a 5 gallon tank. Not as quiet as a Honda, but you can get them ~$650 compared to ~$2500 for a comparable Honda. FYI, it's the most popular generator at all of the NASCAR races I camp at. Home Depot carries them.
Todd.

G

·
0 Posts
i have one on my semi truck theat i mounted in a rack . I use it to power my roof top a/c (13500 btu) and lights and fan in the sleeper when i stop for the night . i just went to menards and bought a power back brand 5000 watt unit . it has a brigs on it and it works great for what i use it for . although i do get some looks when i pull up to the gas pumps on the car side of the truck stop ...lol it has been a little over a year and it still going strong !

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
One more vote for the Honda. If the full Honda unit is too pricey, Northern Tools: www.northerntool.com
has their own line using the Honda motors. I have a 7500w, it will sit for a year and fire up on one pull.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I'm guessing you're looking for a portable (not mounted) unit.

Most of my racing buddies used small Honda's (around 1000-1500W) to run their pit lights and charge the race car batteries. Compact, lightweight, and durable...most of my camping buddies use them as well.

Once you get into the 4-5KW range, doing it reliably for under 100 lbs is going to be tough. Personally, if I was building an enclosed trailer (I designed one but quit racing before constructing it), I'd run a 4-5KW RV rated enclosed unit. A lot more money but it could serve dual purposes, as a power source for the trailer and backup for the house.

Currently, I use a Lincoln Ranger LX10 as both a welding power source and backup generator....it can run 24/7 as long as I keep feeding it diesel *G*...but, at 1200 lbs, it's not realistic as a trailer mounted unit (except maybe in a semi-trailer-style rig...)

Personally, I'd ask around at the races to see what enclosed trailer owners are using and how they like their choice...

Good luck with your trailer!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts