Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very interesting, a set of ported 351 windsor heads with stock valve size (1.84 and 1.54) produced the most torque (374 ft/lbs) for my engine setup according to performance trends engine analyzer. I think it may be the combination of smaller port CCs (155) and smaller intake valve which produce excellant flow and flow velocity at 4500 RPM (torque max). By the way, the engine is a '68 302 with Crane roller cam (281, 0.512), headers, manifold, etc. The horsepower computed (354 hp) was not as high as some other setups with heads having larger ports and valves, but the difference was only about 10-15 hp. My question is...doesn't torque win in 1/4 mile races and not so much horsepower? Anybody else put a set of ported 351 heads on their 289/302?

Tracy Blackford
Corona, CA
Restoration of '65 "Black" ford fastback in progress

G

·
0 Posts
i was thinking of doing this also. either that or shell out the cash for edelbrock heads. what would be best? anybody? i know a guy with a 302 in a 65 coupe. he put on regular 351 heads (not ported)and said he dropped a second or so for his 1/4 mile time. so i guess it makes a difference.

Corpus Christi TX

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
IME, the C9 W's were worth about .27 seconds and 1.5 mph over a set of ported C5 289 castings. Difference between 11.50's @ 117 and 11.20's at nearly 120...
Some of the gain may have been due to increasing experience on the part of the porter...*G*

Nice heads...still have a virgin set in the shop...

Considering the work involved, I just opted for the Edelbrock RPM's when building my latest engine...

Much milder W runs basically the same ET's/MPH's as the more radical 289 did and does it a lot more consistently....

Figure on between 50-100 hours of porting, bowl work, port matching and chamber work on the W's...
Then you can turn 'em over to the machine shop for the valve, seat and stud work....

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
408 Posts
I"ve had a set of ported stock valve 70 351W heads on my Boss 302 short block for nearly 20 years. Originally built the motor for my autocross car. Built for mid-range torque, it pulled hard! Cammed it down now for a street motor and it still is strong.

Scott
National Parts Depot
1965 Conv:Street driven concours
1966 Coupe: Daily driver and toy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts