Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3.25 t-lock rear chunk and 66 axles will soon be installed in the car. Once the car's rolling again it can roll into the paint booth. Slow progress.
Question: Was a posi rear chunk marked differently from a non-posi. Is there a t-lock code that was written on the chunk near/as well as the ratio?? I know my car won't be 100% stock but when I can I like to get it right! Thanks - Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
There was a small metal tag attached to the nut/stud that holds the center in the housing. It is approx 3/4 x 3 and has id #'s and codes stamped on it.

65 FB "J" 302 lots of mods. 94 GT K&N only.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1590489&a=12113030&p=43871256.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if I'll be able to find one of those tags. I'm not even sure if a 3.25 ratio was originally available. And besides, it's obviously a 67 case on a 65 car.
I thought it was marked in paint or grease pencil.....Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
3.25:1 were not available originally for 1966 mustangs...2.8, 3.0, 3.55, 3.89, and 4.11's were, I think.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Think your referring to the inspector sort of markings.

With what we have found so far there were not markings (paint or marker) on the third member housing that indicated if it was an open or traction lock rear end. Only things confirmed and seen are inspector numbers, fill, ratio and another series of color marks ... which none seem to follow a pattern between open and traction lock.

The handling could have been by subdividing the two different ones between their assembly point at the plant and when they were installed in a housing. One installed the metal and paper tags would have identified the difference.

Rearends were not assemblied at the Mustang plants but places - not sure if there was more than one - like the Rogue plant.

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473/
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation, and help.
Where sharing with one .. means sharing with all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts