Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are 4:11 gears too much if I plan on driving 80 mph sometimes? A friend has a center section he will GIVE me if I want, but I'll be using the car to drive to work and I don't want my motor to be at 5000k rpm's the whole way. Thanks - Chris

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have a 4.11 in mine with a Super Duty T5 so I have the benifit of overdrive. I like the 4.11 for the little bit of driving that I do in the car, but many times I wish I used something in the 3.55 range.

My opinion is that this is not the gear you want for street driving and if your highway driving I'm sure this is not the gear you want.

I'd suggest a 3.55 would give you the pep your looking for without driving you crazy with the high RPM motor noise.

G

·
0 Posts
If you plan an occasional trip to the drag strip, those are the gears you want. Let me know if they are for sale.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'd agree with 66stangFb, 4.11 may be too much for city driving (especially highway driving.) For reference, I have a 3.50 rear with a T-5. Cruising at 70mph, I'm turning about 1900 rpm. Without the overdrive, I'm guessing that would work out to about 2800 with a 1:1 transmission ratio with the 3.50 rear-end. 4.11 at 70mph would be, what 3500, 3800?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup... sounds a little high. I'm going to try it out anyway. I can always swap it back out. Thanks !!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hum, hum, hum, ho, ho, hooooooooo,!!!!!

·
Registered
926 Posts
By all means take the offer. Yes it's probably too much gear for a daily driven street car. BUT, it never hurts to have a performance pumkin waiting in the basement if you decide you want to go have fun. With a little practive you can switch them out in an hour or so and completely change your cars personality.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you do install it, remember, your speedometer will be way off. The police do not seem very understanding. And if it ever rains, it gets really squirrely fast. The big oil companies will like you though.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Well somebody has to say this, but Posi or Positraction is a Chevvy term for their limited slip diff.
Traction-Lok or Trac-Lok is the Ford term. Yah there are other terms too.
But 'Posi' is theirs, just like Hi-Po is ours.

There. I said it. I feel better.
BossBill

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Against the grain... DO IT... Big gears are great, I have 3.89's (and a locker) and I'd never go to a smaller one than that now, EVER. Big gears, IMO, get the same rap as Detroit Lockers... Most of the bad mouthing is done by guys that have never used one, and it isn't NEARLY as bad as they'd like you to think. Its part of the charm of my car. Plus nothing beats pulling back into second at about 40 or 50 MPH and roasting off the tires.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Does a different gearing, t-loc or not, really affect your speedo reading?

I recall changing my speedo gear to compensate for bigger tires, but not for different gears. The way I'm thinking about it is that the same sized tires will spin at the same RPMs whether powered by 4.11 or 2.80 gears. Your engine RPMs will be different, but the speedo reads off the tire revolutions, right? Now if you swap to a different sized tire, that will change tire RPM, so obviously an adjustment in speedo gears is then in order...... Dickson

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Thanks for the lack of flames. I stand humbly corrected ! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif Dickson

1 - 14 of 14 Posts