Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Some years ago the 289 was replaced in my 68 coupe. I'm pretty sure that it is a 302, but I would like to be certain. Is there a tag on the engine anywhere?? Also the door jambs were painted over, what is the best stuff to use to remove the paint?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
No way to tell from the outside which crank is in it. Have to drop the pan to be absolutely sure. Lots of things happen to these engines in the last 40 years.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
How much paint do you want to remove? One layer? Could you be a little more specific on your objective.
Sandblasting is very effective at removing paint...but perhaps not the best approach. If you want to strip it all the way down, I would consider "aircraft" stripper. You could always sand it.
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I want to be able to read the warranty plate. A cheat yet simple solution is one that I am looking for. I really don't want to spend a lot of money. Would brake fluid work? As of now the car has a coat of primer on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*UPDATE*

I just learned that the current engine is the original 289. The engine was just rebuilt some time in the early 80s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts