Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 670 street avanger on my 351c this week and it was running like crap. It had a decent idle but once the throttle was applied it would surge like mad almost like several pistons weren't firing and it backfired through the exhaust something fierce. After spending much time and a bit of cash trying to figure out what was wrong I went back through the installation manual and found that I had hooked the vacuum line from the distributer to the full manifold vacuum port and not the proper port on the side of the metering block. I wish I could say this was the first time i've made a mistake working on the thing, but it is the stupidest.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Did that fix the problem for you?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but I still feel stupid about it.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Check the instruction manual on an Edelbrock carb. It says to run full time vacuum to the dizzy and not use the timed vacuum. I've always hooked up my disturbers in my cars to the full time vacuum port on the carb. That's the ford factory setting. Plug the timed vacuum port and hook the dizzy up to the full time vacuum. Of course, when you set your timing, you take off and plug the vacuum line to the dizzy.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give that a go. I had it right and FUBARed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts