Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Honey Gold A-Code Coupe
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 65 recently had quite a bit of work done to it, and the mechanics found that the fuel line was partially clogged. They cleaned it out and changed the filter but now it's got me thinking (worrying) that maybe my tank is rusty. They nearly installed a 2nd fuel filter but didn't because they didn't want to mess with the metal fuel line (I'm thankful for that!)...

So how can I check if my tank is getting a bit rusty/old? It was run about once per month while it was out of my possession, but they didn't keep the tank full, so I think it sat with half of a tank for a couple months. Is this something I need to worry about?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
If the tank is pretty empty, you can take it out, and when you pick it up and shake it, you should hear the suspended rust slushing around in the tank if it's rusty. It probably is rusty, I know mine was.

N

·
0 Posts
If it is plugging the line and you think its rusty change it. I fought mine for weeks and started to carry three spare fuel filters with me. I finally had enough and "ponied" up the cash for a new tank and "goodies". HTH

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I tell ya... I never noticed any performance decline or anything, but they said the line was partially clogged. I'm sure a new tank is needed sometime in the future...

N

·
0 Posts
It looks like the car has been in the family a long time do you ever remember the tank being changed/cleaned? The thing is this: I have seen 30 year old tanks that still look like new inside so that may not be your problem. But the garbage is coming from somewhere and it can be hard to look into your tank and lines to diagnose it. I guess you could take the tank out and use a flash light to peer into it. I chose new tank and lines so I dont have to worry about it again for a long time. I think a complete tank kit was around 100 ish dollars and I bent the new fuel line myself for under 20 dollars. Pretty cheap piece of mind.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, fellas. Yes, it's been in the family since new and as far as I know, it is still the original tank/lines.

The more I think about it, it probably would be wise to replace it all... it is fairly cheap compared to the expense damage would cause.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts