Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
First thing I would check is the condition of the steering box and the ball joint on the end of the pitman arm. Any play there will lead to very sloppy steering.

[color:blue]68 GT500[color:blue]
[color:green]68 1/2 CJ Coupe</font color=green>

[color:red]MCA# 18519[color:red]

·
Registered
332 Posts
My steering left me looking like I was driving under the influence, in my case the problem was the idler arm, a quick replacement there sorted it all out. Just my 2c.

69 Sportsroof, 351C, 4spd toploader, Restomod BOSS 429 clone - the one and only (?) 1969 BOSS 351

http://home.swbell.net/boss351/mustang/boss1.jpg
http://stangnet.cardomain.com/user/adamg69

G

·
0 Posts
Get the front end up so you can get under there and see whats happening. It helps to remove the front wheels as well. While your looking, have a helper move the steering wheel left and right in short strokes. Look at the following: The pitman arm to ensure its fitting tightly on its shaft end, the ball joint at the pitman arm, the tie rod end ball joints, and the idler arm, and its joint. If any of them are sloppy, replace them. If all are tight, then you have slop in the gear box mesh. On a manual steering car you can adjust this... a little. Look on the top of the steering gear box and you will see a nut and a slotted stud. Loosen that nut, and take a large screw driver and tighten the stud down 1/4 to 1/2 turn then re-tighten the nut. This closes the grear mesh, and will compensate for years of wear. If the steering thumps when you turn the wheel after that adjustment, you went to far, back it off 1/4 turn until it stops. If all is tight and all adjustments have been tried, you may need a new steering box. Before you do that, check the ball joints. Jack the front of the car up and secure on sturdy jack stands with the front wheels off the ground about 3 inches with tires ON. Take a long pry bar and slip it under the tire and lift up and down, you will see the wheel slopping up and down if the joints are bad. If they are stiff and the car almost comes off the stands with your lifting, the joints are probably OK. If bad always do all 4 at the same time. Its also possible that you may have worn lower control arms bushings leaving slop in the lower suspension. But this slop is usually a whumping to one side or the other on turns. You can see if these are bad by visual inspection. If bad, unless you have the proper tools, leave a qualified shop do the work. Its always best to replace both upper and lower control arms on both sides while your in there as well as the springs and saddles. Good luck....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts