Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have to agree, pretty bad, and it just gets worse.
But like Nomar said about the strike "we're doing it for the kids"

I don't know about you guys but I think $5 for a bag of peanuts at Dodger Stadium is crazy.

Greed and lazyness will kill baseball.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Just discussing this with a friend. There were two major mistakes made:

1) They shouldn't have made the determination and announcement when they did.

2) The managers shouldn't have played to get in all the players. You go in with five starters (2 innings each max), three mid-relievers, and two closers, you should have plenty of pitching. If some don't get to play, TOO BAD!

If I'm paying $175 to get in the door, I EXPECT to see a winner!

If baseball wants to make this just a guest appearance exhibition game, then fine. Say before hand that the game will only go 9, or 10 innings. But don't expect people to pay that much for a ticket, and don't expect particularly good TV ratings.

Steve

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Don't much care for football. Or any other sport other than baseball. If they lose ME, they've lost most of their fan base, and I get an extra ~300 hours per year to do whatever.

Steve

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I can honestly see both sides of this issue, first like everyone else I would of liked to see the game played until there was a winner.

But If I were the manager of the team or owner of those last two pitchers out there I would NOT wanted them to miss there start in the rotation.

I very much agree with the managers getting all the postion players in the game, what a drag it would be to make the team and not get a chance to play. Perhaps they should of saved a pitcher or two and IMHO they took alot of the real allstars out of game way to early.

Taking Bonds out of the game after only 3 innings sucked, yes he is a jerk, but he IMHO is the best player many of us will ever see. How do you take someone out who in two at bats hits the ball in the nieghborhood of 800 feet one home run and another that only a truly fantastic play keep from being his second.

I thought all in all it was one of the better games in the recent history exccept for the ending of course.

We must face the unfortuate fact that the game and for that matter all of society has changed and we are not going back. Its still a great game, but the days of the real ballplayers ie
Mays, Clemente, Gibson, Koufax etc will never return, I just feel good that I got to watch some of those players in there hey day when it was a game.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I missed the game. My cable met up with a backhoe. I'll never understand playing a game just to tie.
IMO baseball has become to big business. It sure is hard to develop an affinity with a team or the sport as a whole when players come and go year to year. Each year the team "personality" changes and you as a fan need to adjust. It gets more and more complicated. Football is th same way.
I say get rid of the one year contracts and make 3 the minimum. If sports are not fan freindly, they will lose them.
The days are gone when you'll see a player like Cal Ripken Jr, who stays with a club for his entire career, come hell or high water. Damn shame.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Baseball has never recovered me as a fan since the last strike (94?), and TONS of other fans apparently feel the same way, at least according to the attendance figures for our local team, the Contraction City Royals (errrr, Kansas City).

It's a shame. The childhood memories of George Brett....

Last night's "result" didn't surprise me. Baseball reminds me more and more of "professional boxing". And what's up with Mike Sweeney getting ONE at bat, while leading the league? It's now a popularity contest, not an "all-star game". Also, to resolve last night's fiasco, for the "annual exhibition game", players should be allowed to re-enter the game in case of extra innings...simple change.

Oh, well, college basketball will be here again soon! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Until that time, I offer the following as my PERSONAL opinion of MLB:
http://a1.cpimg.com/image/1D/AE/10449181-ef12-0190012C-.jpg

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
I'm so SUPER pissed about the game. Granted, if it were my team's pitcher out there (Nen) and had to pitch until the end of the game, I might be a bit peeved if he didn't get to pitch in a couple games that matter later this week. BUT that's no excuse for poor managment. The managers should have kept a pitcher or two in reserve. That's just smart ball.

For it all to happen in Sielig's park, on the night the MVP trophy is named, then for Sielig to bail before he's interviewed, that just all stinks. That guy needs to resign before there is no longer a single shred of dignity left in the game. And we're getting pretty close.

·
4,136 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Baseball has never recovered me as a fan since the last strike (94?), and TONS of other fans apparently feel the same way

<hr></blockquote>

I agree and if they do strike again they will completely loose me. I went to a few games last year and only one so far this year, minor league that is! They may not play as good as the majors, but there is one thing that they are better at... and that is trying. They give it there all cause they know scouts are out there watching them and the players want to get into "the show" JMHO is all. fd

Also minor league games are far cheaper, and you can hear the ump calling balls and strikes. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
i agree with the managers' decision to allow all to play. there may be some players who never make it back to the all-star game, so getting in the lineup will be special to them. but in an extra-inning regular season game when the manager runs out of pitchers, he inserts position players to pitch. it would have been interesting to see non-pitchers throwing from the mound and it would have made those players' all-star experience that much more unique, too.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I agree that, given the situation at the end of the 11th inning, play could not reasonably continue. BUT, it should never have gotten to that point. No one wants to pay nearly $200 (and/or spend four hours) to watch a parade of star guest appearances followed by "fairly good" other players. This game is supposed to be for the fans, not the players. I would like to see Barry Bonds play all 9 unless he is injured. If he's not willing to risk injury playing a "game that doesn't count", he shouldn't be an All-Star.

[I have no idea what Barry's feelings are on playing 9 innings... I'm just using his name as a top-level star that I'd pay to see]

Steve

G

·
Baseball, football, all that crap is nothing but a bunch of overpayed a$$holes playing kid's stick and ball games. Period.
Guess I just don't go for spectator sports.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Who cares, they are ALL a bunch of spoiled babys. They can stop all sports right now & I would not miss them one bit. Just keep making Mustang parts. I was suprised that they said they stopped the game for the good of the players, what about playing for the good of the fans. They dont give a damn about the fans.

G

·
Whose to blame: all the fans that pay the outrageous ticket prices, parking, food, beverages, etc. that support the elite behavior and lifestyles of all pro sports.
May not be a popular ideal I've given here, but it's the economic truth.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The game being called was bad enough, but to not name a MVP when they earlier had the ceremony honoring Ted Williams by naming the trophy after him is sad. Not too many of todays players are worthy of such an honor anyway. I love pro sports but to think that they make more money in one year than I probably will in my entire life and want even more makes me sick to my stomach.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts