Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car has been painted, re-assembled, and about to get a new convert top installed.

After test fitting the deck lid gasket, I discovered that the trunk lip on the new quarter panel is too high on the passenger side-rear corner. I have two options. Install the gasket properly, and grind the ridge down, OR move the gasket out 1/8" to allow the ridge the space it needs.
I could also remove a few inches of the attachment side to allow the mating surface of the gasket sink more.

What would you do???

·
Registered
120 Posts
"The trunk lip on the new qtr"? if u could post a pic i think i could give u a little better advise
Agreed Pics would help. Other than that I would suggest you have a good body man look at it. There are tricks of the trade which might provide a simpler and less invasive fix.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
"The trunk lip on the new qtr"? if u could post a pic i think i could give u a little better advise
I can have a pic tonight, but it's the part of the qtr panel that contacts the trunk seal. It's the most inner part of a qtr panel on a coupe/convert. Bending it, or "massaging" it may crack the paint in the channel.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Are you sure it is the car, and not the trunk lid? I know on my '69 i have one trunk lid, that has never been hit, that has a tweak that cuases the lid to sit just a tad higher on the left side..
Tom

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure it is the car, and not the trunk lid? I know on my '69 i have one trunk lid, that has never been hit, that has a tweak that cuases the lid to sit just a tad higher on the left side..
Tom
Yes. 100% sure. Deck lid is original too. Fits perfect without seal, up 1/8" with. Passengers side lip is 1/8" lower.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Bend the lip down slowly and carefully. If the paint is fresh, it will flex. If it cracks in the trunk seal area, it can be brush touched to prevent rust.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bend the lip down slowly and carefully. If the paint is fresh, it will flex. If it cracks in the trunk seal area, it can be brush touched to prevent rust.
I was thinking about the same thing only I'd probably use a piece of hardwood 1x2 about 10 inches long. Wrapped in a shop rag then placed into the area where the seal seats and smack it with a hammer to drive the section down or whatever direction you need it to go. If careful you shouldn't damage paint anywhere except under the seal.

Course it's easy to say because it's not my car which is why I suggest having an experienced body guy do it, he's probably done it 100 times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts