Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys since you're all so helpful :pirate: i thought I might ask for some pictures of you're consoles.

Im putting in a hurst quarter stick and it will be surrounded by a factory console.

What Im after is pictures of both auto and standard consoles.

Im not sure which one I will need to go around the new shifter, but I can take pictures of the shifter and provide some measurements if needed be.

Appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Heads up, the "Super Shifter", which I have, does not fit the factory console. Shifts great though. :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heads up, the "Super Shifter", which I have, does not fit the factory console. Shifts great though. :)
Well what I am thinking is that if I buy a standard console, i can install the shifter in it. Im sure it wont fit like a dream but maybe I can fab something up.

That picture above shows a huge amount of room for a shifter.

Can you explain what in particular stops the shifter from fitting? Is it too wide? too long? Can you provide anymore information?

Thank you!

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
The Hurst Competition Plus fits the stock console opening perfectly. The Hurst Super Shifter requires cutting a significant hole in the floor, and chopping out the upper-left part of the trans crossmember. Great shifter, for competition driving, though.

The SS mounts well to the left, so it can use straight rods. This is a Chevy, but a Mustang requires almost as much cutting.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
which console? auto or standard?

i cant really tell if thats a standard or auto shifter

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Just in case you didn;t know, both consoles for auto and manual are the same, there is just a plate that you swap out.

Both hursts above are for manuals.

As 22GT said, there is a normal Hurst, not the Supershifter, that works perfectly. Mine SS has less cutting than above, I LOVE it, the 2 to 3 shift is unreal. Impossible to miss. My previous-previous owner never welded up the old hole properly, they just put some roofing shingles under the carpet. Got to love the 80s....

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now i get you! so i can get the auto plate and if it doesnt work out i can just replace the plate with a standard.

This is going to be a little project on its own getting the shifter setup, installed and looking the part under the console.

Shingles? really? that's some serious engineering and brain storming!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts