Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted a question about swapping a five speed behind my fe motor and it was suggested that i do a search and i did going back a year with no matches. has anyone of ya'll done this swap. if you have what troubles have you run into.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Try posting a question about wheel/tire sizing! the last two times I've done that I've gotten very quick replies to "look at the chart" or "do a search." In both cases I'd already done that and didn't find the answer in either the chart or a search. If the VMF police bothered to read the post and not just the subject they might realize that. So, officer, before you get out your ticket book, first make sure I broke "the law."

·
Registered
2,374 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If you did the search, perhaps opening with "I did an archive search on .... and I did not find the answer to my question. Could someone tell me....? "
That may ward off the "post police". It's amazing how much hassle you prevent for yourself by doing all you can to help get the answer you seek.
As far as your question try asking here:
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/74182
You gotta register and log in first. Best wishes!!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
and, take a look 7 posts down about putting in a 5 speed for a 351C.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I think we've all been told to do a search at one time or another. I've had mixed results when searching, depending on the topic, refining the topic, etc. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. If I read a post and don't feel knowledgable enough to answer, I move on....or re-read the post a day later to find out the answers. Because of the perpetual nature of the forum posts "aging" as new ones get posted, I don't feel I'm speaking out of line in saying most people don't mind repeat questions at all. And a suggestion to search is ussually not meant as criticism, but that it's an option that is available that some people may not be aware of. Keep on posting!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Also when you search you end up reading a lot of "so how're ya doing" posts from people who are just racking up thier post total.
I think you know what I mean by this, a lot of posters just adding comments. Seems like when I search way more than half of the threads I open are the BS ones. Takes a lot of time to sort through them, and if you need an answer is less than one hour forget it. ...... my .02

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I just did a search for "big block 5 speed" using the "OR" on posts from the last six months and came up with a page of hits, some of which were valid:

Here
Here
and here

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the links but they were mostly just opinions. i am actually interested in finding someone who has actually done this. swapping a five speed tremec behind a smallblock is pretty common. my buddy has one in his 69 mach. 351 cleveland bored stroked to 377ci. but i havent seen one behind a fe motor. do i need to buy the adapter plate or will i just use the input shaft one of the posters had mentioned.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I'm one of those quick to say did you search..

BTW, computers are INCREDIBLY narrow minded....they only search for what you typed....

think of other ways to state the same topic....you'd be surprised!

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Picky, ain'tcha?

Call the guys at www.johnsmustangs.com and ask them. John has done this sort of thing a bunch and can even sell you a Tremec TKO-II for a reasonable price.

If you are planning on gobs of HP and torque you may have to spring for a T56 from a Viper. John was working on a kit for this application when I last spoke with him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts