Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have a 67 with the center comsole. The garage door works fine but the PO cut the back cones off the radio shaft holes and also the console is cracked from the right radio shaft hole to the edge. Now I picked up a used center console section (where the radio and garage are located, the piece in question). Its radio shaft cones are intact, no crack either. Unfortunately the brushed aluminum(?) trim around the garage door is missing (would need to grind the tack welds off the old one and glue it on this one) and the worse thing is that at the right side bottom of this piece it has been bent out like someone tried to pry it off the dash once. It sticks out about 1/4".
I have a two shaft radio (just purchased) that I plan to install. I'd much rather install the replacement center console but do you wonderful idea guys have any way I can bend back this piece without breaking it? As you know its made of that cheap-ass pot-metal which easily cracks. Or do I just live with it out of wack slightly?
Thanks for any help.

Michael G.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Think your looking at a 50/50 deal....You may get lucky using a vise and working it slowly.. use paint sticks or something simular with a little give to use a padding (between the metal and the vise) The key is to spead the pressure and even then it doesn't always work... but I would say thats your best shot?

Ken
99 GTP
97 Yukon
68 GT convert

·
Registered
900 Posts
Not sure I can be of much help. I've dealt with pot metal before--you're right, it's crap. As long as the part won't be under severe stress, you might try gently bending to the configuration you need and, if it does break, JB Weld can reattach the parts. When dry, JB Weld is about the same color as the pot metal and can be easily sanded and shaped. It's amazing stuff. Good luck.

EdK (Ed Kennedy on old forum)
'66 Coupe, '94 GT Convertible, 2000 Explorer XLT

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Theoretically you could heat it and then bend it but in reality it's hard to tell when pot metal is at the malleable state and then it's pretty dang close to the point where it completely melts in a pool of slag. It doesn't take too much either - a propane torch can ruin your day.

Just in case you were leaning that way... *G*

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts