Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened in Southwest Houston last nite... Two older guys and 10yo. All that is said is gas was poured down the carb and endeed up with onee man and the boy critically burned and other guy in hospital not so bad and the whole house burned down. We've all done this..gas down the carb, but wheree did the big explosion come from? I recall someone on here has first hand knowledgee of how not to put the gardeen hose on the gas burning under a car..

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
How much gas did they use!?

I feel a redneck joke coming on . . .

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That's not good news at all.

I used to to that until escaped with no burns when I pulled that stunt 4 years ago. Priming the carb with gas, then a little backfire, then hood liner caught on fire then the wiring. What a mess. That was the end of a perfectly good 78 T-bird.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
I saw a guy set himself on fire doing that once.... ever since then I have never done it.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Considering that the fumes are explosive and it sounds like this occurred in the garage with the door possibly closed... add in a backfire with the gas can nearby... they may be lucky to be alive.

I hope they all come out okay in the end.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Tragic, but I have seen some guys pour gas and it goes all over the engine, all over the floor. Then if you have a small fire because of backfire or whatever, it would have been real bad. Small amounts or just buy a can of the stuff made for it. You have more control that way.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
This is probably a good spot to remind everyone to make sure that they have at least one functional fire extinguisher in the garage. And not some puny kitchen stove type extinguisher, but one that will handle the possibilities of a car fire! And I always carry one with me in the car. You never know!

I hope they are OK. Burns have got to be the worst type of injury that I can imagine. :(

·
Registered
255 Posts
Speaking of that, I wanted to get a fire extinguisher for my car and was looking at the one we have in the house. It says not to store above 120 degrees. Well Since I live in Las Vegas and it can easily get above 120 in the car or trunk. What do I do. Do they make Extinguishers for cars that can handle higher heat storage ?? Thanks

MM

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Consider how we often still start injected and supercharged alcohol and nitro cars....squirt bottle down the injectors or into the hat.

Racers have been doing this for years, some better than others. *G*

I've done the same thing many times on my D-coder after it's been sitting a few months. A tablespoon or two of fuel down the airhorn and it fires right up, and usually the pump gets fuel to the carb before the engine dies. The trick is knowing how much and to replace the air cleaner lid before cranking.

Sounds like the blokes in the article may have been challenged in those areas.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts