Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i was wondering, instead of converting drum brakes to disk is there a way to make drum brakes power brakes with power assist, and what is power assist. if that is possible to do, how much should it cost and will there be a drastic change in stopping?
thanks

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yes, That was an option with a just need a power booster with a drum type master cylinder(I would use a dual MC). It will not make the car stop faster, only easier.

I think the money would be better spent converting to Disk brakes. Just my opinion.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
What 65rangoon said, but to add to that:

With a '65/'66 you need to replace the MC, distribution block and MC to distribution block brake line, as well as adding a power booster (of course if going with a dual MC setup, they have to be changed anyway).

On a '67/later, you'll have to also change the brake pedal.

And when he says "stops easier", he means it will take less pedal effort to stop the car. Braking distance will be the same, wether you have power or manual brakes.

·
Registered
758 Posts
On a '67/later, you'll have to also change the brake pedal.
The newer booster kits let you keep the manual brake pedal lever instead of requiring a change to the different-geometry power lever.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
The disk brake conversion is fairly easy and the results are worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, but $2000! that would be 1/3 of what i would buy the whole running car for!

·
Registered
77 Posts
as long as you don't drive in wet weather power drums can be ok.
anyone who has lost their brakes after going through a large puddle knows what I'm talking about. oh and you want might stay away from steep mountain roads as well. i would suggest do your power swap first then if your still unhappy convert to discs and your power set up would still be useable.

just remember drum brakes = fast fading and total loss of braking when the pads are wet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts