Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys -I'm running a 460 in my 1972 Mustang and would like to convert from manual to power brakes. The motor is too big to fit a stock brake booster in -so I am looking for ideas for a smaller power booster AND Master Brake Cylindrer. Someone said I could maybe use an older Datsun booster with a newer Mustang cycliner -any thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
The newer MCs (master cylinders) are roughly the same dimensions as the old one piece metal units, close enough that it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The Falcon guys like the 89-94 Geo Metro MC & booster combo because that whole assembly is less than 8" long and the booster is less than 7" diameter. Not only that but it's a bolt in with good pedal height and clears the mechanical clutch linkage on a stock stickshift. ;) For comparison a vintage Ford drum/drum or disc/drum MC is 7" and the SVO Mustang disc/disc MC is a hair over 8".

I, along with some of the Falcon guys, am wary of the Geo MCs ability to feed a 4xDisc setup, so I'm going to try and follow up on some of the work done by someone on TFFN.net. He ascertained that a Ford MC and the Geo booster will bolt together, so I'm left to figure out a couple things. I already found out the O-ring used on the back of the Geo MC is a non-issue, so I need to find out what the deal is with the MC pushrod, how good the pedal height really is, and how well it works with the Ford MC.

I'm pretty sure I can make the pushrod work, then it's just down to how well it works and the pedal feel/height, and I might end up relocating the pedal stud to improve pedal feel, since the 65-66 didn't have a separate PB pedal.

All that said, I'd like to hear about the Nissan booster, I can't seem to find a Geo booster assembly to test-fit no matter what I do.
Thanks
--Kyle

·
Registered
155 Posts
72 came stock with 429 and power brakes, didn't it? Why won't your fit? Nothing better than a stock booster setup when one is available...

·
Registered
269 Posts
i am running a 351 w with headers amd barely got a booster on my 67 without headers i would have had almost 2 inches

i got an autozone booster & mc for a 67 with 4 wheel disc brakes for $212 with core then i got a power brake pedal from street or track and i was good to go after some minor plumbing and a proportioner valve!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
MustangSteveTX said:
72 came stock with 429 and power brakes, didn't it? Why won't your fit? Nothing better than a stock booster setup when one is available...
This is almost correct, 351C was the largest engine in '72, but '71 had a 429 available, and I'm pretty sure power brakes were part of the package too so if you order the parts for a '71 429 car it should fit like a factory set up. The only variable is if you have aftermarket valve covers. If they are taller than stock covers they might rub on a stock booster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts