Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I's like to convert a non-power drum to power disc brakes on my 66 fastback that has a V8 and manual transmission. I like the SSBC force 10 kits, but SSBC does not have a front kit for a manual transmission. I was thinking about getting the non-power kits then buying the power booster and master cylinder designed for a manual transmission to complete the conversion, but I don't know if it will work. I was suggested to buy the MP brake kits by the sale person from MU, but I was not sure about its quality. Any advice and suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Hi all, I's like to convert a non-power drum to power disc brakes on my 66 fastback that has a V8 and manual transmission. I like the SSBC force 10 kits, but SSBC does not have a front kit for a manual transmission. I was thinking about getting the non-power kits then buying the power booster and master cylinder designed for a manual transmission to complete the conversion, but I don't know if it will work. I was suggested to buy the MP brake kits by the sale person from MU, but I was not sure about its quality. Any advice and suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The SSBC setup will work by using a cable clutch. Much smooth, easier to operate vs the Z bar system.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Essentially all front disc brake conversion kits (not just SSBC) available for standard transmission 65-66 Mustang are offered only in a manual brake version. This because the clutch linkage interferes with the mounting of the commonly use types of boosters used with dual reservoir master cylinders. The power brake version of these kits will work if a cable clutch is routed to not interfere. There are many good choices for front disc brake conversions.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,668 Posts
If you're looking for a booster / dual MC that clears the Z-bar linkage, only two places make em that I've seen - Master Power and some other company sold by Laurel Mountain Mustang (don't recall the name).

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
If you're looking for a booster / dual MC that clears the Z-bar linkage, only two places make em that I've seen - Master Power and some other company sold by Laurel Mountain Mustang (don't recall the name).
Great find!

Laurel Mountain Mustang - 1965-1966 MUSTANG POWER BRAKE CONVERSION - STD TRANS - DISC - DUAL BOWL

I wonder if you still have to notch if you are using an export brace? They are a bit higher up. Ugh, that price sucks though. I am going to go manual (I have all the parts good to go) because I prefer it, but this would be nice so I could have various slightly older family members drive my car. (That was a polite way to describe my mom's age. :) )

·
VMF Ambassador
6,668 Posts
Tell me about it, I made the mistake of putting in a booster / single bowl MC and now I'm going to have to replace it with the booster / dual MC version... can we say $$$? Master Power's booster is even worse, at $385.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts