Vintage Mustang Forums banner

power door locks

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  GypsyR 
#1 ·
i need power door locks for my car. i have an alarm system with keyless entry already, i just need some power door locks and a switch. i oredered a set from A1 electric http://www.a1electric.com/mes.htm but they are on back order for a very long time he says (2 weeks - 2 monnths). i can get this kit and a swtich kit for right under $100. does anyone else offer a deal like this? i dont want to pay much more than $100.

#2 ·
Power door lock actuators and switches aren't cheap. At least good ones aren't. I don't know about the A1 stuff, but if it's good, I'd find someone else who sells it. I used to retrofit these onto cars at Circuit City and when a cheap one seizes up, you can't unlock the door, even with a key. So unless you want to play Bo & Luke Duke, be sure to get good ones.

#6 ·
I don't know how fond you are of junkyards but early to mid 90's Fords came with neat little actuators that are easily adaptable to the inside of our doors. They are kinda weird though in how they operate. They are not your typical lock solenoids. They have zero resistance when manually locking or unlocking the doors, so you don't have to have an iron grip on the door lock to pull them up. I have had mine installed for a few months now and so far nothing bad has occured since installation.

#7 ·
Last time he asked I chipped in about the ones I used from an Explorer (and that work great). No apparent interest. I personally tend to prefer using OEM Ford parts over Taiwan stuff when possible. That's just me though. OK, and you. :rolleyes:

#8 ·
I knew somebody tipped me on to those lock solenoids, but I couldn't remember who. I am the same way, I would much rather use OEM stuff than aftermarket random stuff that will be impossible to find replacement parts for in a few years. I guess some people aren't as willing to dig in the junk for used parts, which is fine, because that leaves more parts for us!

Gypsy, I don't know if this has ever crossed your mind but have you found any window motors that bolt to the stock window regulators? I have been pondering this idea for some time, but have yet to go hunting for the motor assemblies. It would be very easy to do, assuming we could find a suitable motor. Just a thought I had that you might find some interest in.... :D

#9 ·
Not only crossed my mind but I actively scrounged for something that would work. What sparked it was an article in a magazine about cutting the "crank" part off your old regulators and patching in the "motor" mounting bit off another Ford. I think searching for more info on this particular article is what led me to the VMF to start with. I still have it somewhere. What got me is that they were to present a plain "bolt in" solution for the quarter glasses next month. "Next month" never came.
After asking a few times here, the answer seems to be find a 69 Cougar and rob what you need. I've yet to see a single 69 Cougar with power windows in any junkyard. Buening's got something going on though. Here
At one times I scrounged some very likely looking ones from a 67 TBird but couldn't figure out how to use them even though they closely resembled the Cougar units in Buening's picture. I have given up for the time being. I've rebuilt all my regulators and moved on to other things. I do have some neat switches stashed though, and if a good solution for the rears pops up....Making up some power front regulators shouldn't be too bad, I'm still stuck on the rears though. I can't see having only front power windows. Another thing is that I won't cut up my nicely functional regulators, I'd have to scare up some used ones somewhere to operate on.
I've not forgotten about this particular project, just put it on the back burner. My alarm is capable of a remote "window roll-up" function with the addition of an extra module. Also I have stashed a couple of those "one touch" roll down window modules from a late model Mustang. And a couple more that I intend to hook up my Bronco's tailgate window. I always need that back glass either all the way dow or all the way up. Just can't decide whether to hook them to the gate switch or the dash switch. And really haven't found time to screw with them, the glass works fine. Having to hold the switch down is a very minor bother. But every time I use it I think about those modules in the garage. Somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.