Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang Convertible
78 Posts
I never did power up the light, actually. It just got to be too confusing tbh. Electrical wiring is by far my weakest area. Although I did do a good job fixing my ignition wiring recently, so maybe I’ll go back and revisit it in the Spring. If you are successful with it, reply back with what you did, and I’ll do the same if I get mine straightened out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I have yet to send out my radio to Gary...but my car did have an AM radio installed in it (at least my mother had one installed when she had the car). I converted it with a retro-sound radio and at the moment it is powered by the original wiring harness (see photo)...no idea if its affected by voltage of rheostat because its an led display. So I plan on using the original harness to power the radio. We will have to see what happens once I get it converted and installed. How do you like your radio?

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
So I have yet to send out my radio to Gary...but my car did have an AM radio installed in it (at least my mother had one installed when she had the car). I converted it with a retro-sound radio and at the moment it is powered by the original wiring harness (see photo)...no idea if its affected by voltage of rheostat because its an led display. So I plan on using the original harness to power the radio. We will have to see what happens once I get it converted and installed. How do you like your radio?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Thanks for the update. I’ll check for that connector again next time I’m in there.

I LOVE the original radio. Plenty of power and bass because I upgraded the old 6x9’s in the back window to new Kickers. I have the bluetooth connected so when I get in and turn on the radio it connects automatically to my phone and announces it’s connected. FM radio is super clear and works great. I also replaced the antenna with what I believe to be concours. But it looks totally original, because it is

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
This is a good time to go online and buy a Factory Service Manual for your car. In the time spent researching here you could have finished your radio install.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This is a good time to go online and buy a Factory Service Manual for your car. In the time spent researching here you could have finished your radio install.
My radio install was finished a long time ago, just not the light for it. I bought the service manuals years ago, and also the laminated wire diagrams from NPD.

In this case, though, the issue was that the wire colors were not matching up to what they were supposed to be, and I believe the original wires for the radio were not there.

In any case, I started the thread to get help identifying a mystery set of wires. The books are sometimes helpful but I’m no electrical expert for sure, so they are often just confusing. For me, I prefer pictures and questions, and appreciate those who are generous enough to provide useful insights.

·
Registered
78 Posts
@palacekeeper...got the radio back from Tayman electrical and installed...absolutely blown away...an amazing transformation to the car. Plugged it into the original harness and added the ground lead to where the other radio was grounded to. Put in the custom autosound speaker in the dash...and its just so much fun :). Did you end up finding the connector I show in post 24? Are you going to try and re-wire to get the light to work (goes off of headlight switch)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
@palacekeeper...got the radio back from Tayman electrical and installed...absolutely blown away...an amazing transformation to the car. Plugged it into the original harness and added the ground lead to where the other radio was grounded to. Put in the custom autosound speaker in the dash...and its just so much fun :). Did you end up finding the connector I show in post 24? Are you going to try and re-wire to get the light to work (goes off of headlight switch)
Awesome! Glad to hear it turned out so well! Gary does amazing work

I haven’t messed with it yet, mainly because the light is such a minor issue. I’m waiting until the next time I need to remove the radio or dash. I’m pretty sure the original harness is not there so a new wire will most likely be needed.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts