Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power outlet in my 67 is quite corroded. Enough that there is no conductivity when I plug in accessories, like my portable air compressor or cellphone charger.

I'd like to remove and repair it, but it appears to be crimped to the dash. Is there a way to remove it without destroying it or my dash? Or can it be repaired in place?

Any suggestions for repair? Should I use some fine sandpaper? Sandblast?

How should I refinish it without insulating it? Zinc? Black oxide? Phosphate? others?

[color:blue]
1967 Acapulco Blue coupe,Corbeau,LeCarra,Alpine in-dash CD
302 4V,C4,9"3.25:1open,TTD225-60-14,1968 PDB,BB drums
http://www.geocities.com/mlnielsen_67/index.htm
WEBSITE UPDATED 3/25/01
</font color=blue>

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
You can take the whole ashtray assembly out very easily. You know how to take the 'drawer' out right. Next there are three screws holding the housing in. One on each side and one on top. You need a stubby screw driver or a 1/4" socket with a phillips end on it. You take the screws out and the hole piece comes out with a little twisting to fit it through the dash opening. The cig. lighter has a plug on the back, unplug that and it's out. You can pick up a new lighter and socket at any autoshop (may I recommend NAPA over Pep Boys /forums/images/icons/wink.gif) The socket screws in with a retainer on the back I seem to remember. When you get to this point it's pretty straight forward.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts