Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 6cyl to V8 conversion. I got a CSRP conversion and am rebuilding the front suspension with new beefier parts. Any recommendations on a power rack?

I was looking at getting the TCP, thoughts?

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
I just got done dealing with a CSRP/TCP dilemma.

The swap 2 (granada setup) will NOT work with the TCP Power Rack. You need swap 1 or any brake kit setup that mounts the calipers at the front (2 o'clock on the passenger side and 10 o'clock on the drivers side)

What happens is that the rear mounted calipers hit the lines on the passenger side of the rack and pinion cradle.

The TCP kit is amazing by the way so far, took me 1 hour to mount the cradle. I have not gone any farther but its been smooth sailing. Supposedly will work with aftermarket headers and will clear my 66 shelby cobra oil pain.

Overall it seems like a great kit with matching Ididit steering column, pump kit, and linkages.

It will be a long time before I will be able to fire up and drive the car so can't comment on performance but so far TCP don't have any negative reviews

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just got done dealing with a CSRP/TCP dilemma.

The swap 2 (granada setup) will NOT work with the TCP Power Rack. You need swap 1 or any brake kit setup that mounts the calipers at the front (2 o'clock on the passenger side and 10 o'clock on the drivers side)

What happens is that the rear mounted calipers hit the lines on the passenger side of the rack and pinion cradle.
Exactly what brakes do you have? I have granada on my 69, and the calipers are not front mounted, they are rear mounted. And dont contact anything.

I have the TCP power rack and have no clearance issues what-so-ever anywhere. Plenty of room all around.. I dont know how much narrower a 66 is, but with all the space I have I wouldnt think it would be an issue.

The TCP rack is by far hands down the best rack for the old mustangs.. Thats why i saved up for it and went with it over the other brands. The other brands just look cheap to me. Imnot a fan of the inner tie rods being part of the rack assembly.. They look very small and weak to me as well.

The TCP shares the factory geometry with their center link. It uses the original inner and out tie rods. No bump steer on mine. Steering is very precise and nice and tight.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I was trying to decide on a R&P conversion and did a lot of reading on the subject. It seems that the costly TCP is the only unit that will keep your turning radius at factory specs. All of the other lower cost options came with a wider radius.
And since my car is completely disassembled already, it was just as easy for me to install an MII from Rod & Custom. I have the skills, equipment and place to do it all. If I had a driver already, I would have probably stuck to a R&P conversion only, but the TCP unit.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Only have first hand experience with the Unisteer unit. So far I have really enjoyed having it. Makes the car much more fun to drive.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,660 Posts
I just got done with my Unisteer install (do a search for it, I did a really lengthy write-up) and it also seems to retain the stock turning radius (as far as I can tell, at least). It's a real pleasure to drive, but oh man was it a BEAR to install. If money's an issue, I would go with the Unisteer over the TCP just because it'll save you around $1000- IIRC, the TCP rack is $2300 without the pump!

·
Registered
757 Posts

Not sure exactly which brakes they were, but they were CSRP swap 2 kit with granada spindles and calipers.

Don't know why they would fit you're 69 because the tcp power rack is the same for 64-69 i believe.

Which csrp kit do you have original poster?
Exactly what brakes do you have? I have granada on my 69, and the calipers are not front mounted, they are rear mounted. And dont contact anything.

I have the TCP power rack and have no clearance issues what-so-ever anywhere. Plenty of room all around.. I dont know how much narrower a 66 is, but with all the space I have I wouldnt think it would be an issue.

The TCP rack is by far hands down the best rack for the old mustangs.. Thats why i saved up for it and went with it over the other brands. The other brands just look cheap to me. Imnot a fan of the inner tie rods being part of the rack assembly.. They look very small and weak to me as well.

The TCP shares the factory geometry with their center link. It uses the original inner and out tie rods. No bump steer on mine. Steering is very precise and nice and tight.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Swap 1 sitting on the shelf waiting for the car to get back from paint and body. It did not come with spindles but I think I can use the spindles I have.

Nice looking rack btw.

·
Registered
308 Posts

Not sure exactly which brakes they were, but they were CSRP swap 2 kit with granada spindles and calipers.

Don't know why they would fit you're 69 because the tcp power rack is the same for 64-69 i believe.

Which csrp kit do you have original poster?

Your brakes look like standard granadas.. I bought my kit from CAL mustang a long time ago, I dont even see them selling it anymore.

I think the 64-66 rack is different than the 67+ racks.. Big block and small block racks are different for each year as well.

·
Registered
757 Posts
according to tcp's website all small block mustangs from 64-69 use the same r&p but yes you are correct in saying that big blocks use different setups.

yeah i think they were standard granada's but im pretty sure my new setup will clear the lines protruding out.

stephenson you won't regret purchasing the tcp kit and since you have kit 1 it should work. if you want to hold off purchasing until the weekend i will send you a message and verify whether the brake kit works with it or not.

from my understanding kit 1 is the factory setup and tcp claim it works with all factory parts.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
66stang. There is no problem with the waiting. I am waiting for lots of stuff. Waiting for the car to be back in my basement. Waiting on the pumpkin, etc.

What I really wished was, there was a list of things that worked well together. I want to go with: 351w, z bar clutch, headmen headers, TCP rack, CSRP brakes. Will all that go togeather?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I am not able to answer that but maybe TCP can. Call them and ask them, they have a fairly knowledgeable tech support.

They have confirmed to me that my 289 with hooker competition headers (1 3/4" primaries), and cobra oil pan should work. I am running a c-4 with that so have no idea about the clutch linkage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts