Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. When I convert from a heat riser type choke to an electric choke, where do I source the power? Does it require juice all the time when the key is on? (Autolite 4100 carb) Thanks

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I like the stator terminal on the back of the alternator. Then it is only energized when the engine is running.

MrFreeze

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Most electric chokes require a "key on" power source so it is energized when you turn the key on......before you crank!
Electric chokes are bi-metal springs that cause the choke to close when the spring is cold. When you apply power, the spring heats and opens the choke - so ideally you want a power source that is only on when the engine is running; otherwise if you leave the key on without starting your engine, the choke will open before your car starts.

Good luck,
-Rory

P.S. I too recommend the stator terminal. It is not a 12 volt regulated source, but all you are doing is using the resistance of the choke spring to cause heat - voltage is not critical.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Electric choke

I'm still not clear. Does the choke require juice all the time? If not, is there an issue with juice all the time? If I wire it to "key on" must I run a wire to the ign switch. Wiring is not my favorite chore, so I need more detail. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
As soon as voltage is applied, the choke begins to heat and open. You want the choke to be closed when the engine is cold. You do NOT have to supply voltage before cranking the engine.

I wire all mine to the stator terminal, which is exactly what Ford did on production vehicles with electric chokes in the 60s and 70s.

Wiring to a switched ignition source will work fine too most of the time... unless you leave the key in the on or accessory position when your engine is cold and your choke opens before you start your car.

If you wire your choke to have voltage all the time, it will never close and you might as well not have a choke at all.

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,657 Posts
Like 2ndGen says, Ford produced literally millions of vehicles with their positive electric choke wires to the Stator terminal of the alternator. It works. You can hook it up a number of other ways if you like, but none are simpler and more straightforward.

·
Registered
792 Posts
DON'T hook it up to the starter relay. I burns it out quick and then keeps the starter running until battery is disconneted. Not that I know from expirence, lol!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts