Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another upgrade question, this time about installing power steering. I have found the kit for around $900 or so, but kit does not include crank pulley. Where do I get the pulley, and if later I add A/C will I need yet another pulley? I guess I could do a electric PS but that is around $1400, anyone installed either? Thanks, Kim

·
Registered
10,421 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I put a "soup to nuts" kit from Chock-o-Stang into my 65 V8 convertible a few years back. I don't remember the price, but given that it had EVERYTHING I needed except for PS fluid, I was very happy. His customer service is simply spectacular. After it was installed the valve and pump somehow got gunked up (99% sure it was the installer's, who wasn't me, fault, but he took it back, cleaned it out and sent it back no questions asked. It has been running like dream ever since. I will say that adding PS to a manual steer car was one of the satisfying changes I've ever done to the car...and that includes things like an export brace and the Shelby drop. The PS has made the car so much more enjoyable to drive, and Chock-o-Stang was a pleasure to work with.

·
Dimples
3,863 Posts
Have you driven one of these cars with power steering? Opinions vary, but I personally hate the feeling of stock power steering. Couple that with their tendency to leak and your light 6cyl not really needing it, and I think this is a case of an upgrade wasting money and making the car worse.

JMO.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
You'll need a new water pump pulley as well, with more sheaves for the additional belts. If a/c p/s is likely later, I'd get the correct crank pulley now-it'll still work fine without a belt for ps

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
My `66 Sprint 200 hardtop had P/S installed when I purchased it the summer of `84. It has NEVER leaked a single drop of fluid or given me ANY problem in 36 years ! Maybe my experience in non typical. I did replace all the hydraulic lines when I restored the car in `89-`90. Yes, P/S not really needed but I'm not taking it off :) Dean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts