Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed I have a mutilated power steering boot.
Picked up a replacement but never tackled this before. Do I hafta take the whole darn cylinder apart ~ rings, retainers, seals and all just to get that accordion rubber dust boot on there?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
No. Just loosen it from the frame mount bracket at the end of the ram. Turn the wheel enough to get the ram to drop down. Pry off the clips from the old boot, slip the new one on and press the clamp shut and repeat in reverse.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dustyrelics said:
No. Just loosen it from the frame mount bracket at the end of the ram. Turn the wheel enough to get the ram to drop down. Pry off the clips from the old boot, slip the new one on and press the clamp shut and repeat in reverse.
Ahhh ~ nice, Dusty! Thanks! Seems simple enough.
Which end am I working from the end near the wheel or furthest away? Thanks again

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
End near the wheel. You will see the bracket that hangs down under the driver's side frame rail just below the steering box. It has a nut on it facing towards the outside of the car with washers and rubber bushings similar to a shock absorber. Back the nut off, manuever the rod out of the bracket and you're good to go.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dustyrelics said:
End near the wheel. You will see the bracket that hangs down under the driver's side frame rail just below the steering box. It has a nut on it facing towards the outside of the car with washers and rubber bushings similar to a shock absorber. Back the nut off, manuever the rod out of the bracket and you're good to go.
Cool info Dusty ~ thanks a million! Man, I love this forum. Everyone here is so helpful.
No special tools for that? If I'm not working with the ball joint studs, idler arm or pitman arm I think I can handle it.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I bought the special tool from NPD because I used it for my vacuum brake line and my fuel lines. It is a cool tool for someone wanting to use the original clamps.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys ~ thanks for telling me about that tool.
So, what's it actually called? Is it just called a "crimping" tool? I'll run out and buy one.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Most mustang places sell them for about $15. It's also used for crimping fuel lines on tripowers too. Don't know the actual name but they have them in the catalogs right next to the tri-power fuel line kits.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey dusty ~ it's a done deal. Another project accomplished. Installed a new boot (had to remove that whole bracket though cuz the cylinder wouldn't back out far enough). Anyway, she's all set now. Thanks for the advice :thumbup: ;)

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Good job! Glad THAT's over. Now, what's next? Tires?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dustyrelics said:
Good job! Glad THAT's over. Now, what's next? Tires?
Yup ~ tyring to keep the tire choice simple but it's overwhelming. Wanna talk tires? Meet me over at my "What's up w/ these tires" post.

See ya ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have to bring up this thread as I have a question about the boot replacement. I am just finishing up replacing the entire PS system. When I installed the cylinder boot, I noticed thast it seems to be air tight. When the ram is extended, it deforms slightly due to this...in other words it doesn't uniformally stretch evenly. Is this going to be an issue - i.e. cause the boot to wear out quicker? Also, since the whole system is "dry", I guess once the car is running, just slowly keep filling the pump or will air pockets develop in the system. I hope that made sense.
Thanks in advance for any help!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts