Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, rebuilding power steering control valve. Used pitman wedge to separate from pitman arm. However, stud/pin came out of valve first. Now having a hard time getting it out of pitman arm. I was trying not to take the pitman arm off the steering box. Any ideas on how to get it out?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Take a hammer a strike the front side of the pitman arm @ the stud. You may have to give it several good hits but it will pop loose. Don't worry you will not hurt the pitman arm. You can also use this method on ball joints and tie rods. I don't use a pickle fork for just this reason.

Check out this link it will show you what I mean
http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/shockandfall/shockfall1.htm

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
There is also a puller tool...comes as part of some of those "front end rebuild" tool kits that you can rent.

The tool is basically a C-Channel, with a bolt through one of the C-Chanenl flanges. The flange on the opposite side of the bolt has a notch cut it in that will straddle the ball of the pin you are describing.

A couple of extensions weaved up through the engine bay, around the exhaust, and you can turn the bolt standing up.

Here, I found an image of what I'm talking about on ehay:

http://zdmak.com/wbstore/images/WW8832055.jpg

I just don't like the idea of banging on safety critical parts any more than is necessary. It could introduce cracks/stress fractures into the steel, which could cause a failure down the road, causing you to not be able to steer.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
To remove the stud it may be best to sawzall the stud off close to the center link. Using penetrating oil, either tap it out, use a vise and socket to press it out or drill it out.

You may want to look at Stanger's website (look at the steering link) and do some serious reading before you continue. If you were planning on reusing the ball stud sleeve you may have damaged it with the wedge. Replacements are available from NPD.

The website is fantastic for understanding how to do this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts