Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Power steering control valves..

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  stanger53 
#1 ·
I noticed in the catalogs that the rebuild kits for these are 65-70. Would it be possible to put a 67 valve onto a 66? The reason I'm asking is out of curiosity. I'm going to try the rebuild, but was wondering.....Thanks,bob

#2 ·
No. The center link for 64-66 are different than 67-70. On 64-66 mustangs, the ctrl valve is part of the center link where on the 67-70, the ctrl valve screws onto the center link. The 67-70 are a lot eaiser to work with. Ctrl valve goes bad, unscrew it and get a new one and screw it on.

#3 ·
Besides the reason posted below, I believe the hose seats are different sizes, as well. I always wondered what the difference between the "valve part" (which is held on to the drag link by two bolts, and the centering nut).

#4 ·
The actual "control valve" is the same on 1965-1967 Mustangs and Fords. They use a 1/4" tube port for the pressure hose. Starting in 1968 Ford went to valve housings with 5/16" tube ports for the pressure hose. The valve will still fit o0nto the centerlink, but the pressure hose fitting will be different.
Control valves are physically the same (bolt on wise) from 1960 to the late 1970's. It is the "ball stud sleeve" parts that is different.

#6 ·
Sorry, but the VALVE does unbolt from the CENTERLINK on a 1965-1966 V8 Mustang. The VALVE also unbolts from the BALL STUD SLEEVE on 1967-1970 Mustangs. Therefore, you can switch the VALVE itself.
Part of my reply was directed to paulwall who was asking about the "valve part" and their differences. The "valve part" is the actual control valve and is removable from all Fords.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.