Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

i have a 67 coupe and want to install power steering. what is the cheapest kit to buy? please keep in mind i reside in Cyprus.

best regards
Achilleas

·
Registered
21,332 Posts
That's going to be hard to answer. It depends a lot on what's available locally and your mechanical skills. 67 was a transitional year. Early 67's used 65-66 solid column and later used a collapsible column. Factory PS boxes have a quicker ratio. Putting factory steering without changing the steering box is going to be I think maybe a good word, too easy and not responsive.

There is a aftermarket kit made my Borgeson. Whole new integral box like newer cars. Some say it works great and love it. Some say they've had nothing but problems.

Or a rack and pinion conversation. Again you'll find some love it and others have had issues. Converting to rack, you really need to do your homework. Some kits reduce turning radius and some have bump steer issues and some have both.

Another option is EPAS. Electric power steering where the steering motor and controls are adapted to your existing steering by cutting the steering column and mounting the motor in line under dash.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Being somewhere that parts aren't as easy to find, I'd go factory. 20 years from now, you won't be scrounging for after-market replacement parts. Factory stuff will be more readily available, no mods needs to install it and everything is available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts