Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running the factory Ford power steering on my 1970 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland. All the parts are new from Chockostang. Since I first ran the car, the power steering works great until it heats up. Then it quits working. I've talked to Dan about it and he recommended replacing some of the steering fluid with Lucas transmission fluid conditioner. This helped a little, but it's still a problem.

I have Sanderson Shorty headers with the factory Z-bar clutch linkage. It all works, but the LH exhaust is pretty close to the power steering ram. I'm thinking this might be the problem. Therefore, I'd like to install a power steering fluid cooler to see if it helps.

I know the 1970 Boss 302 and Cobra Jet Mustangs had a factory power steering cooler, but those are hard to come by and the reproductions are crazy expensive. I don't need something that matches the factory cooler. I do want something that fits nicely in the same area as the factory cooler and not something that Zip-Ties to the radiator.

I would appreciate recommendations. I looked online at Summit Racing. There are many examples and don't know which would work best.

Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Had a very similar problem to yours. When I would get caught in heavy stop and go traffic my pump would become noisy and loose assist. Changed fluid to Motorcraft type F which I know is quality fluid was no better. I then replaced the pump with the brand new Lares pump. Updated design, fits in the original housing. Problem solved.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Had a very similar problem to yours. When I would get caught in heavy stop and go traffic my pump would become noisy and loose assist. Changed fluid to Motorcraft type F which I know is quality fluid was no better. I then replaced the pump with the brand new Lares pump. Updated design, fits in the original housing. Problem solved.
DITTO!

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
This is a small tranny cooler I used as a PS cooler on my '86 TBird. Never had a problem with burned fluid after the install. I fabbed some tabs to bolt it into the core support.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Look on eBay for one for a Ford Maverick.....
the bracket is in close to the right spot and they aren’t stupid money. I put one in my 69 CJ car, looks almost like an original except the lines coming off the cooler are shorter....and I had to drill a mounting hole.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts

otherwise a small trans cooler like jpersons showed wors well, in fact better than the single loop Ford unit, although I don’t think it takes much to keep them cool unless your auto crossing.....

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I will keep the Lares pump in mind as an option.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts