Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've bought a power steering cooler that i believe will fit my cleveland. i have seen a photo of one bolted to the top of the a/c compressor (http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/steering.htm), and i assume i would simply loop the low pressure line through the cooler. is this correct? also, in what applications did a ps cooler come from the factory? what are the pros and cons of putting this on my car? also, is the extra length of ps hose that loops through the bracket on the firewall brace to cool the ps fluid? thanks.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I've seen the p/s fluid cooler on the Boss 302, mounted on top of the power steering pump!, stock location. I've also seen the p/s fluid cooler on the 428 cobrajet with drag pack. I put one on my 302, mounting it on the cross brace under which is bolted the strut rod. It is slightly in front of the power steering pump and lower.

Yes, the low pressure line is the one that feeds in and out of the cooler. Note of caution, the fins are very sharp and you can slice up your fingers pretty good when installing, ifyou are not careful. Good luck!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,246 Posts
I can't say much about the 60's Fords but I've seen a LOT of P/S coolers on 70's and newer Fords. ALL cop cars, most Lincolns, trucks, station wagons, big-block vehicles, and some 79 up Mustangs. On my 82 F100, the cooler is just an extended metal line that makes a loop on the frame. It doesn't look too effective, but maybe it doesn't need much. SWMBO's 86 Mustang has a 4"X9" finned cooler mounted in front of the AC condenser. I swiped a cooler off a 73 Continental and use it for an oil cooler on my Harley. It was mounted below the power steering pump.
A cooler will add longevity to the PS sytem and the pump in particular.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts