Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running a power steering cooler? I just ordered a Derale unit for my fastback- I know some big block and boss cars were equipped with them from the factory. I'm pretty much done with the power steering install (using factory PS) and I've noticed the steering feels heavier after driving on the freeway for a while. This is really only noticed when stopped at idle. Any do's and don'ts for installing one of these?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13200/overview/

·
Premium Member
12,034 Posts
In the past it was Lincolns, T'birds and F series that came with the PS coolers. I guess a big, heavy vehicle really worked the PS over! Lots of new cars and trucks come with them. I don't know if the R&P steering systems naturally run hotter or what but if you walk along the rows of wrecks at the junk yard you will see lots of them, even on small cars.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update- I installed the same cooler that @Nailbender used and wrapped the hoses in that reflective heat shield space blanket looking stuff. Problem solved! No more heavy steering after prolonged driving, even after my 2 hour drive to Big Sur.

I tried to mount the cooler as low as possible to mitigate any potential for air bubbles. It's tight, but no issues.

IMG_1966 by armon7, on Flickr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts