Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I came up with an idea for a mod to those drop brackets that bend the frame. I considered making a bracket to sandwich the frame and somehow connect the two sides of the frame to the drop bracket. When I made my cardboard templates of some variations of this idea, it seemed to encroach the space for the wheel/tire. So I did some more thinking, and came up with this bracket made from 1 1/4" angle iron. I made it from a piece 9" long using a hack saw, C clamp and a counter top. I will weld it up after I strip the galvanizing off. Then I will drill a couple of holes to bolt it to the torque box area of the frame.

I think adding a bracket inline with the strain of the steering ram will add more rigidity to the frame than sandwiching it. I also figured I'd brace the end of the drop bracket to cancel out the leverage of the ram on the drop bracket. I will have to drill a couple of holes, but I'm sure I can weld them up if I'm not happy with the results. I am going to trim the corner of the angle iron, as well as add some metal to the part of the bracket above the ram mounting hole to stiffen that area.

here's some more pictures.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I like it. I've had nothing but problems with the drop bracket in my daughter's '69, using FlowTech headers on a 302. In a couple weeks, while I have it up on jackstands for the suspension, I may look and see if I can do the same.

What headers are you using? With my Hooker Comps and 351w based stroker, I didn't have to use the drop bracket in my '69.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I really like the idea, gj.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John, I have Heddmen Hedders. I tried to bolt up the steering with the factory piece, but it would not work. So I am left with the need to use the drop bracket for now. I modified the bracket today and bolted it in. Here's a few pics.

It feels very strong when I try to wiggle it. I hope to try it out on the road Monday afternoon if the weather holds out.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I didn't know you could use the Hooher comp with a '69 Windsor, i was tols otherwise, so i ended up getting the Hooker super Comp, and obviously ended up with the drop down bracket problem ripping off my frame rail...Good idea there VC, let us know how it turns out....I'm having a friend of mine making his own version of a reinforced drop down bracket that will extend onto the other side of the frame rail and attach to the inner lip of the rail, anyways he drew the shetch on carboard and will be machining the piece hopefully this week..I will keep you posted on that...

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Very clean and professional looking modification. I modified the Hedmann drop bracket by welding in a heim joint to replace the rubber bushings. It eliminated a low speed front end shimmy I was having.

I tried to post a picture here, but don't know how to do that. I copied but right click on the mouse did not give me a paste option. How did you post photos with your message? url links?

Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
70sportsroof said:
Very clean and professional looking modification. I modified the Hedmann drop bracket by welding in a heim joint to replace the rubber bushings. It eliminated a low speed front end shimmy I was having.

I tried to post a picture here, but don't know how to do that. I copied but right click on the mouse did not give me a paste option. How did you post photos with your message? url links?

Thanks.
I didn't buy the Heddman bracket. I know it was a generic part.

I post my pictures to Photobucket.com and then copy paste here. Works very well. There are other sites that allow the same thing.

As far as the road test, it will have to wait. I have to replace my valve to cylinder hoses. They are shot. I'm amazed they held up to the pressure with out bursting. Interestingly, the hoses have a C5 prefix on the part number stamped into the fitting. I thought they were supposed to be C7 or C8. Anyway, I'll have to put off the road test till NPD sends my hoses.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm sure it will hold up. Its much nicer looking then what I did and should be just as strong.
I did mine a couple years ago and there is no flex at all.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/bloodybill/dcp_1584.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts