Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is only 1 bolt holding the drop down bracket. It should have 1 that crosses through the frame, and 2 that bolt from the bottom of the frame.

Lucky me, I am missing the 2 that bolt from the bottom, also the nuts that were there are no longer there. So how do I bolt this on. Do I need to cut a hole in the frame to allow a nut and bolt to go through or is there an easier answer.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Stock or with headers. I would assume stock. AMK has the crimp nuts that go in the frame. Not sure about the cross bolt. I think that was a crimp nut also. Mine has the header drop adapter, so it's been a long time since I looked at the stock one.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If it's like a '66 there are nuts that go into the frame and expand when you tighten the bolts. Mine came loose and I ended up welding the bracket to the frame :p

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
On the 70, the cross bolt is a through bolt with a nut on the inside of the frame rail. The second bolt comes up and goes into a blind hole in the bottom of the frame rail, in which is inserted a special type of nut.

If you are using an aftermarket drop bracket, the change in the angle of the push rod creates more stress on the frame rail and can tear out the bottom bolt. I welded the bracket, in addition to bolting it.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The 2 nuts in the frame rail are called crush nuts, and they're available at NPD or any Mustang parts place. The long cross bolt, goes all the way through and gets a nut on it for every year from '65 to at least '70 (I'm post '70 ignorant). That is, the long bolt is just a regular nut and bolt and does not use a crush nut.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
On my 67 there was one long bolt that went through the frame and had a self-locking nut on it. Then there were two threaded inserts in the bottom of the frame for two additional bolts that came in from the bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts